Canada PR Process Step-by-Step from India in 2023
Table of Contents[Show]
Permanent residence abroad in Canada is a dream come true for many. But are you worried about the procedures? What are the steps involved in the Canadian PR process?
Canada is a very popular immigration choice for people from around the world. Be it for a better quality of life, career prospects, or a safer environment, Canada is the ideal choice keeping in mind these aspects and many more benefits for Indians to study, work and settle in the country.
In 2022, IRCC had successfully processed 5.2 million applications that included permanent residence, citizenship, and temporary residence, which was by far double the number of applications processed in the year 2021.
The country’s immigration system offers various immigration pathway programs which have reliable and feasible visa processing. Mr. Sean Fraser (Immigration Minister) gracefully quotes Canada’s excitement to extend the Canadian family:
“Today marks an important milestone for Canada, setting a new record for newcomers welcomed in a single year. It is a testament to the strength and resilience of our country and its people. Newcomers play an essential role in filling labor shortages, bringing new perspectives and talents to our communities, and enriching our society as a whole. I am excited to see what the future holds and look forward to another historic year in 2023 as we continue to welcome newcomers”.
What is a Canada PR visa?
- Canada’s Permanent Residence is a “five-year-multiple-entry” visa that entitles skilled foreigners the opportunity to come work and settle in the nation.
- The visa comes with the flexibility of extension every 5 years.
- However, after completing a term of 36 months of work and staying under a PR visa card, the person becomes eligible to be a Canadian citizen as well.
Eligibility Requirements for Immigration to Canada
For the eligibility to apply for the PR under Express Entry System, the applicant needs a minimum score of 67 points, for a total of 100 points (in the point-based system). The six factors considered are namely
- Language skills (English and French) - total points being 28
- Applicant’s education - total points being 25
- Work History or experience - total points being 15
- Age Factor of the applicant - total points being 12
- Canada job offer - total points being 10
- Adaptability factor in the applicant - total points being 10
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is the applicant’s total score out of 1200 points.
The applicant is ranked based on collective scores of the four categories namely
- “Human capital and Spouse Common-Law Partner Factor” (the maximum points under the combined factor is 500 points),
- “Skills Transferability Factor” (maximum points being 100) and
- “Additional factors” (accounting for a total of 600 points).
Please click here to calculate your CRS score
Step by Step Process for Canada PR Visa
- Step 1: Completion of Education Credential Assessment: If the applicant has pursued his or her education from outside Canada, it is suggestive to complete an ECA or Education Credential Assessment. Completing the same would bring in the benefit of 150 points to their CRS scores.
- Step 2: Completion of Language Test: This is the primary requisite for the Express Entry. The applicant needs to take the IELTS test as proof of his or her ability to effectively communicate. The applicant as well can take the French language test (TEF) for improving their rank further.
- Step 3: Express Entry Profile creation: The supposed applicant needs to create their express entry profile for themselves online in the IRCC portal, to initiate the process.
- Step 4: Apply for PNP (optional): Applicants can opt for Provincial Nomination Program as this one category itself has a very huge impact on CRS Scores and helps differentiate themselves with 600 points comparatively. The different provinces in Canada have various provincial programs that keep changing and updating from time to time.
- Step 5: Express Entry Draw: After the CRS scores are aligned and the applicant passes the cut-off range, they are allotted a certain rank individually by conducting an Express Entry pool draw that is done at regular intervals. The passing candidates then receive an ITA.
- Step 6: Get an ITA: Once the applicant is approved and selected in the Express Entry Pool Draw he is required to fill in the Invitation To Apply. The ITA needs to be submitted within a duration of 90 days from the date of receiving the ITA.
- Step 7: Background Verification checks: The applicant further needs to undergo a health check-up with a doctor who is approved by the Canadian immigration authority and submit the results to IRCC. Also, the applicant as well needs to pass through a police verification process and obtain a certificate for every city the applicant has resided in on a continual basis for a duration that is more than 6 months in the past.
- Step 8: Application reviewing by the Immigration Officer: In this step the applicant does not need to put in any effort, rather a Canadian immigration officer reviews the submitted application. However, the applicant needs to be prepared if asked to furnish any additional documents, in this step.
- Step 9: Receiving PR Status Confirmation: In this stage, the applicant receives a confirmation of their permanent resident status. The applicant can fast-track their application process under certain categories. Like by applying under the Canadian Experience Class, your application would be processed in a maximum of 3-4 months. This step includes receiving a copy of the “Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)”.
- Step 10: Time to apply for PR Card: Congratulations!! You have successfully made it to the Canadian immigration process’s final stage and henceforth you are eligible to travel to the nation. All you need to do is apply for your PR card and use it to travel in and out of the country.
Are you ready to apply for Canada PR?
The process of applying for Canada PR can be overwhelming, this is where we, GetGIS can help you navigate the process more smoothly. With the right preparation and guidance, you can increase your chances of being approved for Canada PR and realize your dreams of living in Canada.
Canada has been rated as the best immigration destination for expats from around the world. Thanks to its friendly immigration procedures, a strong economy, excellent healthcare and education systems, and a diverse and inclusive society, Canada has much to offer for individuals and families looking for a better future.
Applying for Canada PR can be a long and complex journey, but it is a journey worth taking for those who are looking to start a new life in one of the most prosperous and welcoming countries in the world!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Options For Immigrating To Canada From India?
1. Express Entry Program
2. Provincial Nominee Program
3. Quebec Immigration
4. Immigration for business purposes, notably the Start-Up Visa Program
5. Class Sponsorship for Families
6. Study Permit
Can I change my residence from temporary to permanent?
What Are Canada’s Provincial Programs?
2) Quebec Immigration
3) Alberta Immigration
4) British Columbia Immigration
5) Manitoba Immigration
6) New Brunswick Immigration
7) Newfoundland Immigration
8) Nova Scotia Immigration
9) Saskatchewan Immigration
10) Prince Edward Island Immigration
What is the Processing Time for a Canadian PR Visa?
Who can sponsor my relocation to Canada?
Which members of your family can be sponsored for immigration to Canada from India?
2) Conjugal companion
3) Relying children
Another relative of any age or relationship, but only under certain circumstances, including siblings, nephews, nieces, granddaughters, and grandsons who are orphaned, under the age of 18, and not married or in a common-law partnership. Accompanying the above-mentioned relatives (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).
Who can move to Canada without providing proof of financial means?
Can I apply for a programme for business immigration?
Options available at the federal level include:
1) Self Employed Program
2) Start-Up Visa Program
3) mmigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Pilot Program
What Conditions Must a Start-Up Visa Candidate Meet?
1) Qualifying company
2) A letter of support and a commitment certificate from an approved organization
3) Enough transferrable, available, and unencumbered settlement cash
4) A level 5 proficiency in either English or French according to the Canadian Language Benchmark
How Will Canada's Express Entry Change in 2023?