All You Need To Know About COPR in 2024

alt image

Limited-time offer : Access a free 10-Day IELTS study plan curated for you

Gis Bottom

Limited-time offer : Access a free 10-Day IELTS study plan curated for you

Gis Bottom

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a confirmation of permanent residence number?

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), sometimes referred to by its document numbers IMM 5292 or IMM 5688, is issued to new Permanent Residents by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. Recipients typically receive this document either before traveling to Canada or upon landing in the country.

Can I return to Canada with COPR?

Indeed, the issuance and signature of the CoPR marks the date your status officially changes to that of a permanent resident. Once this change is made, the individual can no longer travel abroad and return to Canada on their previous work permit or study permit as they are no longer valid.

Does PPR mean visa approval?

PPR, or "Passport Request," is a step in the visa application process where the applicant's passport is requested by the visa office for further processing. It typically indicates that the visa application has been approved and that the visa is ready to be issued.

What is the difference between PPR and COPR?

At the final review, when the security results come in and are clear, the application is finalized and the applicant receives a Passport Request Form (PPR). [Note: Inland applicants don't need to send their passport as they will be sent the Confirmation of Permanent Residence COPR.

Are COPR and visa the same?

Note that a COPR is not a travel document. Individuals approved for PR who require a visa will also be issued a permanent resident visa with which they will be allowed to travel to Canada and enter the country.

What happens if my COPR expires?

If your COPR expires and you're unable to travel to Canada, you can apply for a new one through the appropriate immigration authorities. Keep open communication with the authorities, provide any updated personal information, and stay informed about any changes in immigration regulations. Address the situation promptly and follow the guidance provided to ensure you can establish your permanent residency in Canada,

Do I need an electronic travel authorization if I have a COPR?

Yes, if you have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), you still need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. A COPR only confirms your status as a permanent resident of Canada, while an eTA is required for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. It's important to ensure you have the necessary travel documents before making any travel arrangements.
Shakthivel Krishnaraj

Shakthivel Krishnaraj

Content Marketing Specialist

Shakthivel Krishnaraj brings his expertise to the role of Content Marketing Specialist at GetGIS with a professional background rooted in journalism and writing,  He is dedicated to aiding individuals in making successful career transitions, drawing upon his extensive experience across various industries. His skill set is marked by thorough research abilities and a genuine passion for sharing knowledge that empower readers with insightful information.

Related Articles