All You Need to Know About Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada From India
Table of Contents[Show]
- A Brief Overview of Spouse Open Work Permits in Canada
- Benefits of Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada from India
- What is Spouse Open Work Permit Canada: Eligibility Criteria
- Document Checklist for Spouse Open Work Permit Canada
- SOP for SOWP Canada Visa
- How to Apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada?
- Spouse Open Work Permit Canada Processing Time from India
- Canada Spouse Visa Open Work Permit Fees
In this blog, we will discuss the Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada, a topic that carries significant weight for many individuals seeking opportunities within the Canadian job market while staying united with their loved ones.
This permit serves as a crucial gateway to explore professional prospects in the country while maintaining a strong personal connection. Whether you're contemplating a move to join your partner in Canada or have already arrived, we'll navigate through all the details to start this essential journey.
A Brief Overview of Spouse Open Work Permits in Canada
A SOWP Canada provides an avenue for spouses of certain study permits or work permit holders to pursue job opportunities and actively participate in Canada's vibrant society. This open work permit is available to spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents during the processing of their sponsorship application for permanent residence.
Benefits of Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada from India
The Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada for Indian nationals offers several advantages. It allows spouses of certain visa holders to work for various employers in Canada, providing financial stability for their families during the immigration process. Here are some of the other benefits
- Spousal open work permits allow sponsored individuals to work for nearly any employer in Canada
- They enable individuals to financially support themselves and their families while their immigration application is in progress
- Eligible individuals for these open work permits include spouses, partners, and dependents of permanent residents, citizens, temporary workers, and students already in Canada
- This new measure, introduced by IRCC in May 2023, expanded the availability of open work permits beyond inland sponsorship applicants or those with a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)
What is Spouse Open Work Permit Canada: Eligibility Criteria
The Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada provides an exceptional opportunity for spouses or partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to work in Canada. Below we have outlined the essential eligibility criteria
- You must be the main applicant who applied for permanent residence in Canada as a spouse or partner
- Your work permit request should be for a maximum of two years
- You should be the subject of a sponsorship application by your Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse or partner
- You must share the same address with your sponsor in Canada, at the time of your application
- You need to have valid temporary resident status in Canada or have applied for status restoration
- Both you and your sponsor must meet the eligibility requirements for spousal or partner sponsorship
Document Checklist for Spouse Open Work Permit Canada
To ensure a smooth and successful application process for a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada, having the right documents is crucial. This document checklist guide will walk you through the essential paperwork and requirements you need to gather to make your application journey as seamless as possible
- Applicant's Passport: A valid passport with a biodata page copy
- Marriage Certificate: Official proof of spousal relationship
- Proof of Primary Applicant's Status: Documents confirming their legal status in Canada (e.g., study/work permit)
- Relationship Proof: Evidence of your genuine relationship (e.g., photos, joint accounts, lease)
- Personal Identification: Additional ID documents (e.g., driver's license)
- Language Proficiency: English/French proficiency proof (e.g., IELTS or CELPIP scores)
- Educational Records: Copies of educational certificates, degrees, or transcripts
- Work Experience: Résumé detailing work history
- Financial Documentation: Bank statements, employment letters, income tax returns
- Additional Supporting Documents: Any relevant extra materials, like cover/reference letters
Also Read: What is the Age Limit for Canada PR
Documents Required for Open Work Permit for Spouse in Canada
Below are the specific documents that are required when applying for an Open work permit for a Spouse in Canada under different categories.
1. Relatives of High-Skilled Workers:
- Evidence of your kinship with the main applicant
- Confirmation of the principal applicant's legal authorization to work in Canada
- Verification that the principal applicant can work in Canada for a minimum of 6 months after we receive the family member's work permit request
- Verification that the principal applicant is currently employed or will be in an occupation classified under National Occupation Classification categories 0, 1, 2, or 3
2. Relatives of Low-Skilled Workers:
- Confirmation of your relationship with the principal applicant
- Evidence of the principal applicant's legal authorization to work in Canada
- Verification that the principal applicant can work in Canada for at least 6 months after we receive the family member's application
- Confirmation that the principal applicant is employed in an occupation classified under TEER categories 4 or 5 in the National Occupation Classification system
3. Relatives of Permanent Residence Applicants:
- Proof of a genuine relationship with the principal applicant
- Confirmation of the principal applicant's legal work eligibility in Canada
- Verification that the principal applicant can work in Canada for a minimum of 6 months or longer following the submission of the family member's work permit application
- Confirmation that the principal applicant has applied for permanent residence and included the family member in their application
SOP for SOWP Canada Visa
When crafting a Statement of Purpose (SOP) for a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada, it's crucial to ensure that your document maintains a clear, coherent, and concise structure. Customize it to your unique situation and build a persuasive argument for why you are the ideal candidate for the Spouse Open Work Permit. Below are the steps one needs to keep in mind
Commitment to Compliance
How to Apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada?
If you are pondering on the question as to how to apply for an open work permit for a spouse outside Canada, then there are a few steps that you need to follow as illustrated in the images below. Following these steps will help you apply for a spouse open work permit for Canada from India as per the official guidelines on the Canada government website.
Additionally, you can seek assistance from GetGIS experts to avoid application errors, which are crucial during the process.
Step 1: Go to the website Canada.ca and navigate to the section that outlines how to apply for a Spouse open work permit in Canada from India
Step 2: On the subsequent page, select the option for applicants residing outside Canada, and the option that best describes your profile.
Step 3: Once both options are selected, you'll find a link to access the application form for a work permit to work in Canada. Click on it.
The next page will give you the choice of applying online or offline. Click as per your requirement.
Step 5: On the same page, you need to select the country you are applying from. In this case, we have shown the example of applying from India.
Step 6: Create an account or sign in to access the application guide, which will contain detailed instructions and the application form itself.
Step 7: Login with your GC key, gather all the required documents, and attach them to the completed application form. Submit your application, along with the applicable fees, to the designated visa application center.
Spouse Open Work Permit Canada Processing Time from India
The Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada application processing time is 13 months encompassing various stages of the application, such as the duration for the sponsored individual to provide their biometrics, the assessment of both the sponsor and the sponsored person, and the verification of eligibility requirements. This timeline applies to spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners residing outside Canada (excluding Quebec) who are seeking a spouse-open work permit.
Canada Spouse Visa Open Work Permit Fees
You can sponsor your spouse or partner for immigration to Canada without the right of permanent residence fee. The sponsorship fee amounts to $75, and the principal applicant processing fee is $490, totaling $565.
Additionally, if your spouse or partner holds an open work permit, there is a separate fee of $100 associated with it. These fees are important considerations when seeking to reunite with your loved ones in Canada through the sponsorship process.
Your Path to a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada
In conclusion, the Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada opens the door to a world of opportunities for couples. The ability to work anywhere in this diverse and welcoming nation brings a world of possibilities. As you embark on this journey, it's crucial to stay well-informed, this is where GetGIS consultants can provide invaluable assistance in ensuring that your documentation and application process are accurate, significantly increasing your chances of success.
So, seize the chance to build a new life together and create lasting memories by Scheduling a Free Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the spouse's open work permit Canada success rate?
What is Spousal Sponsorship?
Can a spouse’s open work permit be extended?
How to renew your spouse's open work permit
Do I need to submit a spousal open work permit proof of funds requirement?