Navigating the Canada Spouse Visa: Requirements & Process
Table of Contents[Show]
The Canadian Spouse Visa reunites couples by allowing spouses or common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to join them in Canada. In this article, we will explore the requirements and application process of this visa, providing valuable insights to help couples navigate this immigration route successfully.
Canada Spouse Visa: The Canadian Spouse Visa, also known as the Dependent Visa, is a type of visa that allows spouses or common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to join them in Canada. It provides an opportunity for couples to live together and build a life in Canada.
Who is Considered a Spouse or Dependent?
In the context of the Canadian Spouse Visa, a spouse refers to a legally married partner. This includes opposite-sex and same-sex marriages. On the other hand, a common-law partner refers to a person who has been living in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor for at least one year.
Who Can be a Sponsor?
For the Canadian Spouse Visa, eligible sponsors include Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are either legally married to the sponsored person, in a common-law relationship with them, or recognized as their conjugal partner.
Types of Canada Spouse Visa
There are two major types of Canadian Spouse Visas:
- Outland Sponsorship: If the sponsored partner resides outside Canada, they can apply through outland sponsorship. The application will be received by a processing office in Canada and then transferred to a visa center abroad for finalization.
- Inland Sponsorship: If the sponsored partner is already in Canada on a temporary status, they can apply for inland sponsorship. With an open spousal work permit, the sponsored person can stay and work in Canada temporarily until the sponsorship application is processed.
Spouse Visa Canada Requirements
To apply for a spouse visa in Canada, you must meet the following requirements:
- Relationship: You must be legally married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or have a common-law or conjugal partner relationship for at least one year.
- Sponsorship: Your spouse or partner must be willing to sponsor you and provide financial support for your basic needs for a specific period of time.
- Age: You must be at least 18 years old.
- Immigration status: You must be admissible to Canada, meaning you do not have any criminal convictions or medical conditions that would make you inadmissible.
- Language proficiency: You may need to demonstrate your proficiency in English or French, depending on the province you plan to reside in.
- Financial requirements: Your sponsor must meet the minimum income requirements set by the Canadian government to ensure they can support you financially.
- Medical examination: You and your dependents would need to undergo a medical examination to ensure you are in good health.
- Documentation: You will need to provide various documents, including your marriage certificate, proof of identity, and proof of your relationship with your spouse or partner.
Documents Required for Spouse Vis Canada
Once you have checked your eligibility, you can gather the required documents to apply for a spouse visa in Canada. Here is a list of documents that are typically required:
- Application forms: You will need to complete and sign the appropriate application forms, such as the Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement, and Undertaking.
- Proof of relationship: You will need to provide evidence of your genuine relationship with your spouse, such as a marriage certificate, photographs together, joint bank account statements, joint property ownership documents, etc.
- Identity and status documents: You and your spouse will need to provide copies of your passports or travel documents, birth certificates, and any other identification documents.
- Proof of legal status in Canada (if applicable): If your spouse is already in Canada, they will need to provide proof of their legal status, such as a copy of their valid visa or work permit.
- Police certificates: Both you and your spouse will need to provide police certificates from each country or territory where you have lived for six months or more since the age of 18.
- Medical examination: Your spouse will need to undergo a medical examination by an approved panel physician to ensure they meet the health requirements for immigration to Canada.
- Financial documents: You will need to provide proof of your financial ability to support your spouse, such as employment letters, pay stubs, bank statements, and tax returns.
- Sponsorship documents: As the sponsor, you will need to provide documents to demonstrate your eligibility and ability to support your spouse financially, such as employment letters, pay stubs, bank statements, and tax returns.
- Other supporting documents: Depending on your specific situation, additional documents may be required, such as divorce or separation documents, custody agreements, or proof of previous sponsorships.
How to Apply for a Canada Spouse Visa from India?
Now that you have understood the eligibility and documentation process for a Spouse Visa in Canada, you can apply for a Spouse Visa for Canada from India by following these steps:
- Determine your eligibility: Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria to sponsor your spouse, including being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, being at least 18 years old, and demonstrating the ability to financially support your spouse.
- Gather the required documents: Collect all the necessary documents, including identification documents, proof of relationship, financial documents, police certificates, and medical examination reports.
- Complete the application forms: Fill out the appropriate application forms, such as the Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement, and Undertaking. Ensure that all the information provided is accurate and complete.
- Pay the application fees: Pay the required fees for the sponsorship application and any additional fees for processing, biometrics, and medical examinations. The fees can be paid online or through a designated payment method.
- Submit the application: Submit the completed application forms, supporting documents, and payment receipts to the appropriate IRCC office. You can apply online through the IRCC website or by mail.
- Wait for processing: After applying, you will need to wait for the processing of your spouse's visa application.
- Attend an interview (if required): In some cases, you and your spouse may be required to attend an interview with an immigration officer. The interview is conducted to assess the genuineness of your relationship and the eligibility for sponsorship.
- Receive a decision: Once the application is processed, you will receive a decision on your spouse's visa application. If approved, your spouse will be issued a visa to travel to Canada.
Want to get your Canada PR? Read this: Canada PR Process Step-by-Step from India in 2023
Canada Spouse Visa Fees in Indian Rupees
To apply for a Spouse Visa Canada, you would need to pay fees depending on the sponsorship. Below is a breakdown of the fees related to the visa:
Sponsor your spouse or partner
(Sponsorship fee $75, principal applicant processing fee $475, right of permanent residence fee $500)
Sponsor your spouse or partner without the right of permanent residence fee
(Sponsorship fee $75, principal applicant processing fee $475)
Sponsor a dependent child
$150 per child
(Sponsorship fee $75, processing fee $75)
Include any dependent child
$150 per child
(Include any dependent child on an application with your spouse or partner, processing fee of $150)
Canada Spouse Visa Processing Time
As of 2023, the processing time for a spouse visa in Canada from India is approximately 13 months. Processing times for a spouse visa can vary and may change, so it's important to check the latest information before applying. Factors affecting processing times include the visa office or processing center, application completeness, application volume, and other relevant factors.
Streamline Your Canada Immigration Journey with GetGIS
Embarking on the journey of immigrating to Canada can be complex and overwhelming, but with GetGIS (Global Immigration Service), we aim to simplify the process for you. Our experienced team of immigration professionals is dedicated to providing comprehensive support and guidance throughout your immigration journey.
From assessing your eligibility and preparing your application to navigating the intricate requirements and paperwork, GetGIS is here to streamline your Canada immigration journey. Don't let the complexities hold you back. Take the first step today and book a free consultation with GetGIS to begin your smooth and successful immigration process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it easy to get a spouse visa in Canada?
Can I take my wife to Canada on a spouse visa?
Can a spouse work on a dependent visa in Canada?
Is IELTS required for a spouse visa in Canada?
Do spouses get permanent residency (PR) in Canada?
What is the success rate of spouse visa applications in Canada?
Can I bring my new wife to Canada?
How soon can I sponsor my wife to Canada?
Can we bring a spouse to Canada after 3 months?
Can the Spouse Work on a Dependent Visa in Canada?