Complete Guide To Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada 2023
Table of Contents[Show]
- What is Postgraduate Work Permit
- Who is Eligible for Postgraduate Work Permit
- How long does it take to get a Post graduate work permit
- What is the latest information on the post-graduation work permit for Canada 2023
- Make your study dream a reality with a PGWP
Studying abroad is a dream for many international students, and the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada provides a unique opportunity to make that dream a reality. With the PGWP, international students can work in Canada after completing their studies and gain valuable work experience, further expanding their skills and career prospects.
In this complete guide to postgraduate work permit in Canada 2023, we will take a look at the eligibility criteria, the duration and what are the latest updated release by IRCC in PGWP permit.
What is Postgraduate Work Permit?
The Post Graduate Work Permit Canada (PGWP) is a type of work permit issued by the Canadian government to international students who have completed a program of study at a designated learning institution in Canada. The PGWP allows the holder to work for any employer in Canada without the need for a job offer, giving them the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and apply for permanent residency.
- The length of the PGWP is based on the length of the study program, with a maximum of three years.
- The PGWP is tied to the international student's passport, not a specific employer.
- The application for the PGWP must be submitted within 90 days of the completion of the study program.
- The PGWP is not a guarantee and the issuing officer has the final say on whether or not to grant the permit.
- The PGWP is a crucial step in many international student's journey to becoming a permanent resident of Canada.
Who is Eligible for Postgraduate Work Permit?
Canadian government has introduced the post-graduate work permit in Canada after study program, which allows you to work internationally after completing studies. To be eligible for a postgraduate work permit in Canada and Outside Canada, an individual must meet the following criteria:
Eligibility for Graduates in Canada
To be eligible for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) in Canada after completing your graduation, the following criteria must be met:
- You have held a valid study permit within the past 180 days.
- You currently have a valid visitor record.
- You have either applied to extend your study permit before its expiry or have submitted a status change application, and have not yet received a decision.
- You completed a full-time study program at a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Your study program was at least 900 hours in duration.
- You graduated from a public post-secondary institution, a Quebec-based private institution that follows the same rules as public institutions, or a recognized Canadian institution authorized to grant degrees under provincial law.
Eligibility for Graduates outside Canada
Even if you are permitted to study online from outside of Canada without a study permit, you need an approved study permit to apply for a PGWP.
- A PGWP application is possible if, you were enrolled in a program that included sessions that ran from January through March.
- If your program has already begun or is about to begin between the spring of this year and the summer of the following year.
- You already have a study permit or have been approved for one.
- You applied for a study permit before beginning your study program, and you have completed a study program at a designated learning institute.
How long does it take to get a Post graduate work permit?
The processing time for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) in Canada varies and can range from 80 to 180 days, the time taken for the application processing depends on several factors such as the volume of applications received and the processing office.
However, during your waiting period for the permit, you are free to work in Canada, provided your study permit is still valid or has been extended before you apply for the PGWP.
To ensure a smooth and efficient processing of your PGWP application, it is important to provide all the necessary documentation and information, and to pay close attention to the application requirements.
In general, it is best to apply for the PGWP as soon as you have completed your studies, as the processing time can be longer if you apply later.
What is the latest information on the post-graduation work permit for Canada 2023?
It is crucial for students in Quebec to be aware of the following updates regarding post-graduate work permits (PGWP) in Canada:
1. Completion of program before 1st September 2023: If your program is completed before September 1st, 2023 and you apply for a PGWP within 6 months of its completion, your application will be evaluated under the current criteria.
2. Program starting after 1st September 2023: If your program starts after September 1st, 2023, you can apply for a PGWP only if the program is eligible for the PGWP after that date.
3. Currently enrolled in an ineligible program: If you are currently enrolled in a program that will not be eligible for a PGWP after September 1st, 2023, the time you spent studying in that program before that date may still be counted towards your PGWP calculation.
This update is specific to some academic programs offered at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Quebec.
Make your study dream a reality with a PGWP!
In conclusion, obtaining a post-graduate work permit in Canada is a great way to gain valuable work experience, expand your professional network, and further your career.
With the help of a knowledgeable immigration consultant like GetGIS, the process of obtaining a PGWP can be effortless and streamlined. We offer a full suite of immigration services, including PR services to Canada, Australia, and job seeker visa services to Sweden, Germany and Austria, as well as job search assistance, and guidance for English language tests like IELTS, CELPIP, OET, and PTE. Trust us to guide you through the PGWP process and ensure that your application meets all necessary requirements.
Good luck on your journey to securing a PGWP in Canada after study!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I work after graduation before I apply for my PGWP?
How many times can I apply for a PGWP Canada?
Can I get Canada PR after a 2 years work permit in Canada?
Do Grades Matter for PGWP?
What If I Have Dependents While Applying for PGWP?