Work Permit in Canada: A Detailed View
Table of Contents[Show]
A Canada Work Permit Visa, also known as a Canadian work visa, is an official document issued by the Government of Canada. This is granted for applicants who meet the precise qualifying requirements, such as receiving a job offer or employment contract from a Canadian employer. To know more about it, let us dive deep into knowing all about how to apply for it, the eligibility, and processing time, and all the documents required, etc. in this article.
A Canada work permit visa is a temporary authorization that grants the visa holder the right to work while in Canada. There are two types of work permits in Canada. Namely,
- Employer-specific work permit
- Open work permit
Canada Employer-Specific Work Permit
An employer-specific work permit is something that allows you to work in Canada based on the conditions on your work permit, like:
- The specific employer’s name
- How long will the working period be
- The particular location of your work (if applicable)
Prior to the application of the employer-specific work permit, your employer must provide you:
- a copy of your employment contract
- Any 1 of the following:
- A copy of a labour market impact assessment (LMIA)
- an offer of employment number (for LMIA-exempt workers)
To obtain this number, your employer must use the Employer Portal. In case, your employer isn’t using the employer portal of the IRCC, they must give you a copy of the employment contract.
Canada Open Work Permit
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, with the exception of:
- Those who are classified as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the restrictions, or
- who routinely offer striptease, erotic dancing, escort services, or erotic massages.
- Some jobs might require a medical examination. You can acquire a medical checkup from a panel physician if you don't want medical issues on your open work permit.
Eligibility Requirements for Canada Work Permit
When applying for a work permit, you must meet particular requirements based on where you are. However, regardless of where you apply to or the sort of work permit you want, you must:
- Prove trustable to an officer that once your work permit expires, you will be leaving Canada without any hassle.
- Showcase that you have adequate funds to take care of yourself and your family members throughout the period of your stay in Canada and to return to your home country.
- Adhere to the law and have no record of criminal activity against your name. (A police clearance certificate might be asked in some cases).
- Prove that you aren’t a threat to Canada’s security;
- Be in your best health and have a medical exam done, if needed.
- Not planning to work for an employer listed under the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the country’s rules.
- Be ready to provide the officer with any other documents they may require to prove you can enter Canada.
Documents Required for Canada Permit
To apply for a Canada work permit, you must provide certain documents to the country’s government. A brief list is given below, and you can read about the documents required for a Canada permit on the official website.
- Proof of identity: A valid passport provides you the right to go back to your home country. 2 photos of you and every single family member who will be accompanying you.
- Proof of employment in Canada
- Proof of relationship: Proof of marriage and birth certificates must be provided for you and your family members.
- Proof of your current immigration status: If you aren’t a citizen of Canada, you will be required to submit proof of your immigration status.
Canada immigrants policy: From January 2023, the Canadian government will implement a two-year temporary measure to extend work permit eligibility to spouses, common-law partners, and working-age dependents of temporary workers across skill levels. This would include workers' families from industries such as healthcare, trades, and hospitality. Around 200,000 foreign employees and their families will be affected by the legislation.
How to Apply for a Work Permit in Canada?
Obtaining your Canada work permit will take you some time. But, if you follow the right steps it turns out hassle free. Find the proper procedure to apply for it, below;
- Use the Canada Immigratio Points calculator to check your eligibility.
- Obtain your ECA report.
- Create a requirements checklist.
- Apply for a work permit in Canada through the official portal.
Canada Work Permit Processing Time
Usually, your Canada work permit processing time starts the day they receive your finished application and it ends when they finally make an approved decision on it.
If the application is submitted through mail, the processing time starts when your finished application arrives in the embassy’s mail room. While, if the application is submitted online or in person, the processing time starts when you submit your completed application.
It is usually said that a work permit might take around 9 weeks to get approved after all the formalities have been completed. Anyways you can constantly keep track of your application status.
Note: The processing time for different fields might differ.
Work permit from inside Canada (initial and extension)
Online - 141 days
Paper - 19 days
Work permit (from outside Canada)
Canada Work Visa Cost
The work visa cost in Canada is the same regardless of the industry or stream through which you apply.
|Processing fee in $ CAD|
$155 per person
Open work permit
$100 per person
Restore a work permit
Ready to take the next step toward your Canadian PR?
In conclusion, if you are planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada, it is crucial to have the minimum IELTS score required for a successful application of your work permit.
Besides offering end-to-end immigration services to Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, and Sweden, we have an impressive 99.9% success rate helping candidates achieve 8-band scores in IELTS. So, get in touch with our expert counsellors today to bring into reality your dream of studying in Canada! Book a free consultation today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get PR after working in Canada for two years?
Can I Work Anywhere with a Canada Open Work Permit?
How much IELTS score is required for a Canada work permit?
What is the maximum age for obtaining a Canadian work permit?
Can I change my visitor visa to a work permit in Canada?