A Detailed Guide to Canada Student Visa Requirements, Process & Fees
Table of Contents[Show]
- Canada Student Visa
- Why Study in Canada?
- Different Types of Canada Student Visas for Indian Students
- What are the Eligibility Requirements for a Canada Student Visa?
- Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
- Step-by-Step Canada Study Visa Process: Application Timeline
- Canada Student Visa Fees from India
- Canada Student Visa Processing Time from India
- Latest Updates to Canada Student Visa
- Reasons for Canada Student Visa Rejections
- Fulfill Your Dream to Study Abroad in Canada With GetGIS
Are you someone aspiring to pursue higher education in Canada in 2024? Why wait any further? Explore all you need to know about the Canada Student Visa.
Canada is renowned for its world-class education institutions, making it a top choice for international students, including those from India.
In this guide, we'll walk you through each step i.e. Canada student visa requirements, process & fees ensuring you're well-prepared to pursue your academic dreams in the Great White North.
Canada Student Visa
Canada Student Visa, also known as the Study Permit in Canada, is your ticket to pursue quality education in one of the world's most renowned educational destinations. This permit allows international students to study at Canadian universities, colleges, and other educational institutions.
Moving further let us discover the essential requirements, application process, and fees associated with obtaining this visa, and embark on your academic journey in Canada, a country celebrated for its quality education, cultural diversity, and stunning landscapes.
Why Study in Canada?
While studying abroad brings in higher prospects of personal and professional nourishment. Specifically studying Canada has a whole lot of benefits for Indian students. A few of the notable ones include:
- Top-notch Education: Canadian universities rank globally, with eight in the QS World University Rankings 2023 and seven in the Times World University Rankings 2023.
- Cost-Effective: Canada provides affordable education compared to the US and UK.
- Diverse Culture: Experience a rich mix of cultures in Canada's welcoming environment.
- Work Opportunities: Graduates can apply for a three-year work permit, with 20 hours of part-time work options during their studies.
- Eligibility to Universal Healthcare: International students in Canada are eligible for healthcare services, including universal healthcare, on-campus health services, etc.
Different Types of Canada Student Visas for Indian Students
Are you aspiring to study in Canada, the journey begins with identifying what are the different Canadian student visa types for Indian students.
Canada offers 4 different types of visas to accommodate the varied needs of aspiring applicants, providing them the gateway to a world-class education, and comprehensive study structure bringing an enriching experience. These visa types include:
A Study Permit serves as a Canada Student Visa, allowing students to reside in Canada for the duration of their course at a Canadian university. It is essentially the standard student visa.
Student Direct Stream Program (SDS)
This program expedites the processing of study permits for students from select countries, streamlining the visa application process.
Quebec Acceptance Certificate (QAC)
International students intending to study at universities in Quebec must obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate as part of their visa application.
Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Indian students planning to study in Canada for less than six months can opt for a Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) instead of a Study Permit.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for a Canada Student Visa?
In order to gain eligibility, applicants need to qualify for the Canada student visa requirements from India. These criteria include:
- Must have obtained an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. The letter must have the following
- Must be on the School’s official letterhead
- Program information
- Tuition fees
- Program dates
- Primary applicants should meet the minimum student visa Canada age limit of 18 years.
- In case the student is a minor parent or guardian would need to apply on their behalf
- Must have a clean criminal history
- Sign a consent form at VAC
- In case the applicant has an immigration status currently in any other country or Canada prospective documents need to be attached
- Proof of Intend to return to origin post-completion of studies
- Must meet the minimum Language Proficiency Requirements
Documents Required for Canada Student Visa
Now that you have confirmed your eligibility for the Canada study visa process, and surfing online for the documents required for a Canada study visa to be attached. You would be delighted to note that your search results have arrived.
When completing the application forms, you'll need the following supporting documents to be included:
- Valid Passport
- A Declaration Letter to the Government of Canada explaining why you should be granted a visa and study permit.
- Two photos meeting Canada's photo requirements.
- Medical examination results.
- Police or Court Clearance
- Resume or diplomas to verify your employment or education status.
- Proof of financial capability for tuition and living expenses, which can be demonstrated through
- Canadian bank account in your name.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a Canadian financial institution.
- Proof of a student loan from a bank.
- Bank statements for the past four months.
- Evidence of tuition and housing fee payments.
- Letter of financial support from a person or institution.
- Scholarship documentation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- If a minor is studying in Canada and requires a custodian who isn't a parent, submit a Custodian Declaration Form, signed by the child's parents or legal guardians.
- Unique Client Identifier (UCI)
- Documents required for student spouse visa Canada (if required)
- Application Fee Receipt
- Full passport scan showing blank pages for your travel history
- If studying in Quebec, include a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) issued by the Quebec government (instructions provided by your school).
*Ensure that all documents are translated into English or French with proper certification to confirm accurate translation.
Step-by-Step Canada Study Visa Process: Application Timeline
Now that you are well-versed with the Canada study visa requirements, moving further let us explore what are the steps involved in the application process for Canada Student Visa.
- Step 1: Secure a Letter of Acceptance: Begin by obtaining a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. Ensure that the institution is listed as a DLI officially.
- Step 2: Create an Online Account: Visit the official IRCC website and set up an online account, which will be used for the visa application process.
- Step 3: Gather Required Documents: Collect all necessary documents, including that include – passport, photographs, The Letter of Acceptance from a DLI, proof of funds, Statement of Purpose, Letter of Recommendation, etc.
- Step 4: Complete the Application Form: Log in to your online account and fill out the Study Permit application form (IMM 1294) with accurate information, double-checking for errors.
- Step 5: Pay the Application Fee: Make the necessary payment for the Study Permit application fee. Be sure to verify the current fee amount on the official IRCC website, as it may change.
- Step 6: Schedule Biometrics Appointment: You will need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photographs). Schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Center (VAC) to complete this step.
- Step 7: Submit the Application: After completing the online form and paying the fee, electronically submit your application through your online account.
- Step 8: Attend an Interview (if required): In some instances, the Canadian Consulate or Embassy may request an interview to further discuss your application.
- Step 9: Receive Decision and Visa: Upon approval, you will receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter and a Letter of Introduction. These documents allow you to enter Canada and commence your studies. Upon arrival in Canada, the POE Letter will be exchanged for your Study Permit at the port of entry.
Canada Student Visa Fees from India
Canada has a separate fee structure in-house for applicants opting for an extension or restoring the study permit and for first-timers. The student visa Canada cost is as follows:
Canada Study permit
Restoring Study Permit
Canada Student Visa Processing Time from India
Canada student visa processing time varies individually (based on application). However, the expected Student visa processing time to Canada is around 2 - 3 months while the visa processing time for applications for Student Direct Stream is just around 4 to 6 weeks.
Latest Updates to Canada Student Visa
Before we close down to the concluding takeaways of the Canada Student Visa let us have a quick glance at the latest developments in this migration stream to Canada or Canada's new rules for international students.
- The Student Partners Program (SPP) has been replaced by the Study Direct Stream (SDS) for Indian students pursuing studies in Canada.
- Under the SDS program language proficiency requirements, students only need to achieve an overall score of 6 bands to qualify.
- SDS requires students to make annual fee payments, departing from the previous semester-wise structure; non-compliance may lead to general visa processing.
- SDS streamlines the application process by directly associating with individual students, unlike the SPP, which was tied to specific colleges or universities.
- A new public policy allows students with expiring post-graduation work permits before December 31, 2023, to apply for an open work permit, valid for up to 18 months.
Reasons for Canada Student Visa Rejections
Post-September 2022, the Canadian student visa rejection rate has surged to 60% for Indian applicants in some states, significantly higher than the average refusal rate of 30%. These rejections are a result of insufficiency or not being able to meet the Canada student visa requirements 2023, which include:
- Financial Insufficiency
- Not being able to justify your interest in the chosen program
- Not having the mandatory Letter of Acceptance
- Lacking English Language Proficiency
Fulfill Your Dream to Study Abroad in Canada With GetGIS
Obtaining a Canada Student Visa is a pivotal step towards building your international career while fulfilling your aspirations in the Canadian land. While the application process might have its own set of complexities and evolving requirements, staying informed and meeting the updated criteria is crucial for enhancing your application approval chances.
GetGIS along with ensuring you are well knowledgeable about the Canada student visa requirements, process & fees, also aids in your post-landing necessities. As a final takeaway, Canada not only offers quality education but also provides a welcoming environment that helps foster personal growth and global opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for a Schooling Visa Canada with parents?
- A valid student study permit
- Visitor visa for parents
- Support letter from the student
- Proof of financial ability.
What is the IELTS requirement for a Canada student visa?
Can I work while studying in Canada with a Student Visa?
Is it possible to extend a Canada Student Visa?
What happens if my Canada Student Visa application is rejected?
- Carefully Review the Rejection Letter
- Address issues and provide more documents while reapplying.
- If eligible, you can follow the appeal process
- Consider other visa options or programs.
- Seek Expert Advice