Is It Worth Moving to Canada from India?
Table of Contents[Show]
Thinking of making Canada your new home? Canada has become a popular destination for immigrants from all over the world, including India. According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, the number of Indians granted permanent residency in Canada has skyrocketed by a staggering 260%, from 32,828 in 2013 to a whopping 118,095 in 2022. In the first two quarters of 2023, a remarkable 84,000 immigrants are from India.
But what is it about Canada that makes it so appealing to immigrants?
Are There Any Reasons to Move to Canada from India?
There are many reasons to immigrate to Canada. Some of the most common reasons include -
1. Job Opportunities: A Thriving Economy Awaits
Canada's robust economy, coupled with labor shortages exacerbated by the pandemic, presents a plethora of job prospects. With unemployment rates at record lows and job vacancy rates soaring at 818,195 after the first two quarters of 2023, the country actively seeks immigrants to fill essential roles.
2. Top-Notch Education: Nurturing Excellence
Canada proudly boasts the title of the world's most educated nation, with over 56% of its population having pursued post-secondary education. Education is a cornerstone of Canadian society, ensuring access to basic education through free public schools and mandatory schooling laws. This is one of the most important reasons to immigrate to Canada.
3. Universal Healthcare: A Safety Net for Well-being
Access to medical services is a fundamental right in Canada, guaranteeing that no citizen or permanent resident faces financial barriers to healthcare. Unlike other countries, income disparities do not dictate access to medical treatment as Canada provides Govt. funded healthcare facilities.
4. Pro-Immigration Stance: Welcoming Newcomers
Canada's pro-immigration stance stems from its commitment to address labor demands and supplement its aging population. The government has established various pathways to facilitate newcomer immigration, including the popular Express Entry system.
5. Diverse Multi-cultural Population: A tapestry of cultures
Canada's multicultural identity is a source of pride, as it embraces people from over 200 countries, fostering a vibrant mix of races, religions, and cultures. Studies confirm that a majority of immigrants feel a sense of belonging in Canada.
6. Safety: A Haven of Peace
Canada enjoys a reputation for its low crime rates and minimal gun violence, standing in stark contrast to many other countries. It consistently ranks among the top 10 safest nations globally and is considered the safest country for LGBT tourists. This makes it one of the prominent reasons to immigrate to Canada.
7. Stable Political System: A Bastion of Democracy
Canada's strong democratic values are evident in its stable political system. Its democratically elected leaders govern without significant political unrest. Canadians can freely express their dissatisfaction with the government and effect change through protests, lobbying, or elections.
8. Thriving Economy: Resilience and Growth
Canada's economic stability is renowned worldwide. Despite the pandemic's impact on many economies, Canada emerged stronger than ever. With a growth rate of 6.7% in the fourth quarter of 2021, its economy surpassed pre-pandemic levels.
Also, read: Your Complete Guide to Canada for Business
Canadian Permanent Residency (PR): All You Need to Know
A Canadian permanent resident is an individual who has relocated to Canada for employment purposes and has been granted permanent residency status. Upon obtaining PR status, those aspiring to become Canadian citizens must fulfill specific requirements, including meeting the residency obligation.
Canada offers various avenues for acquiring permanent residency, such as Business Immigration, Sponsorship, Economic Immigration, and Refugee or Humanitarian programs. After immigrating to Canada from India, individuals can apply for Canadian PR.
Here are the advantages associated with obtaining Permanent Resident status in Canada:
- Authorization to reside, study, and work anywhere in Canada.
- Access to top-tier healthcare and social services within the country.
- Entitlement to protection under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Canadian law.
- Possession of the Canadian Permanent Resident card or permanent resident travel documents, which permit entry and exit from Canada's borders.
Acquiring PR in Canada serves as the initial step toward Canadian citizenship, as eligibility to apply for citizenship arises after holding permanent resident status for a minimum of 3 out of 5 years.
Checklist for a Smooth Transition to Canada
As you begin your journey to Canada, a land of stunning landscapes and diverse cultures, it's crucial to be prepared for the unique challenges and opportunities that await you. To ensure a smooth transition and avoid any unforeseen troubles, here's a comprehensive checklist to guide you through the process.
- Weather Essentials: Canada's weather can be unpredictable, with temperatures ranging from scorching summers to frigid winters. Pack accordingly, ensuring you have a mix of warm and cold weather gear, including waterproof shoes and jackets.
- Essential Documents: Keep your passport and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) handy at all times. Additionally, carry copies of your educational credentials, employment records, marriage certificate, birth certificates of children (if applicable), passport-sized photographs, job offer letter (if applicable), driving license extract, and vaccination booklet for your baby (if applicable).
- Financial Preparedness: Carry a mix of Canadian dollars and travel cards to ensure you have access to funds upon arrival. Consider opening a Canadian bank account as soon as possible to manage your finances effectively.
- Packing Smart: Create a detailed packing list to avoid last-minute scrambles. Utilize duffel bags instead of suitcases for easier maneuvering. Roll your clothes instead of folding to save space and consider using vacuum bags for further compression.
- Kitchen Essentials: Pack basic utensils like a saucepan, bowls, glasses, spoons, and steel plates to set up your kitchen in your new home.
- Health Insurance: Once you land in Canada, enroll in a health insurance plan as it is mandatory for all permanent residents. This will safeguard you against unexpected medical expenses.
- Miscellaneous Items: Don't forget to pack chargers, power plug connectors, your laptop, bedsheets, a comforter, flip flops, essential medicines, toiletries, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a nail cutter, scissors, and baby supplies if you have a child traveling with you.
Take off Your Dreams in Canada with GetGIS!
Canada is a welcoming and diverse country with many opportunities for immigrants, including support programs, business opportunities, and access to global markets. With its stable economy and business-friendly environment, Canada continues to attract immigrants in 2023.
Need help with Canada Immigration from India? GetGIS is here for you!
GetGIS's team of experienced immigration experts is more than just skilled in handling applications. They are also knowledgeable and ready to answer all your questions, even those you haven't asked yet. They will work with you with utmost professionalism.
Partner with GetGIS and make your dream a reality in Canada. Schedule a Free Consultation!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I move to Canada without a job from India?
Is Canada a good option for Indians?
How much money does it take to move to Canada from India?
What are the different immigration programs for Indians?
Express Entry: This is a points-based system that selects candidates based on their skills, experience, education, and language proficiency.
Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs): These programs are run by the provinces and territories of Canada, and they have their own specific requirements.
Family sponsorship: This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members to come to Canada.
What are some tips for preparing for a move to Canada from India?
Research extensively: Gather information about Canadian culture, customs, lifestyle, and the specific province or city you plan to reside in.
Learn English or French: Proficiency in either English or French, Canada's official language, will significantly enhance your employment prospects and integration into society. Connect with Indian communities: Seek out Indian communities or organizations in Canada to connect with fellow immigrants for support, advice, and social interaction.