Top 8 Benefits of Studying Abroad for Indian Students
Table of Contents[Show]
- List of 8 major advantages of studying abroad
- Guidelines to Study Abroad Program
Many of us aspire to study in foreign but hesitate to break out of our comfort zones. The question that first arises is, “Is it worth it??”, “What are the benefits of studying abroad for Indian students??”
Studying abroad is not just about education, but more about experience. The duration of gaining an international degree is not just about career benefits but also the personal benefits that come as a bonus in the package.
Universities abroad focus majorly on teaching proficiency and the overall personality development of their students. As per statistics yearly, lakhs of students are enrolled in education courses abroad, and India is also reported to be 2nd highest source of international students after China. This proves the willingness of Indians to gain global education for a better and prosperous career and future.
The study conducted by British Council on employment statistics highlights that about 40% of MNCs demand professionals with an international education background.
The advantages of studying abroad are numerous, it not just helps you develop personally but at a professional level too. Nowadays, we get to witness huge competition in the employment market and this benefit of studying abroad will make you stand out from the group.
When away from our comfort zone (home) it is natural to feel overwhelmed or anxious, as it’s a start to a new phase or adventure of living in an unfamiliar place and too in a different country. The former Panasonic global head of TM, Mr. Danny Kalman states international exposure is the prime contributor to the overall shaping or development of a corporate employee. The main qualities that organizations look for in their recruits are confidence, flexibility, and adaptability, which fortunately are as well three major contributors required to study abroad.
List of 8 major benefits of studying abroad for Indian students
As we already discussed above, the education journey abroad is more about the amazing and long-lasting experience we gain surviving in a different country. Along with a world-class education, the individual gets exposure to many unfamiliarities. The Ministry of External Affairs reports that yearly lakhs of Indian students are flying to study abroad, and most of their recent preferred locations are Canada, Germany, the UK, the USA, etc. based on their study requirements and expectations. Below are a few of the benefits of studying abroad that help them enhance their career prospects.
1. Quality Education and learning experience
Having the opportunity to experience world-class education and top-notch teaching is the biggest benefit of studying abroad. You get to learn and experience best-in-class facilities and opportunities at globally recognized universities, in a multicultural environment.
Along with education comes the learning experience, and studying abroad exposes us to new systems of learning. The unique study modules, instructional modules, and methods enhance your adaptability to learning to greater heights.
2. Familiarity with diversity
When you are enrolled in a university abroad, it is common to meet or find students from other 30 – 40 countries around the world. The benefit of Global education enriches your willingness to embrace diversity, make yourself familiar with different cultured people, and learn new languages. This exposure of yours will help solidify your people skills.
3. Travel opportunities
Who does not like to travel and explore? Well, this is one of the best benefits of studying abroad as you get the chance to travel and explore different parts of the world. As a part of this, you get to experience new cultures, food, countries, etc. This not only broadens your views but also adds the opportunity to contribute to personal growth.
4. Enhance your professional development
This chance for global experience has a strong influence on your professional journey. This helps in identifying your new interests, passion, and avenues for professional advancement. From embracing a new language to being an entrepreneur in your chosen sector, you have it all. Some of them feel and prefer to continue their further education and research abroad.
5. Better Employment opportunities
You may choose to return home after completion of your course, but there is no denying the positive addition to your CV. While many students decide to stay back and search for jobs and upgrade to work visas, few prefer to return to their home country. These degrees help the candidate to make himself stand out in among the crowd of applicants for a job as it is seen that companies prefer candidates with foreign educational experience over others, as they would naturally have molded themselves to be more confident and mature through their education experience.
During the interviews, aside from the generic answers, you would have real-life experiences and examples to share with the employers, and also this shift to a different country to gain your degrees showcases the applicant’s attitude and willingness to take up risks and new challenges, a trait which is well appreciated and valued by recruiters today.
The most unique feature or benefit of studying abroad. We are well aware of the value of a strong network for facilitating research, educational, and employment prospects in the future. Sometimes these might develop into business partnerships as well. The bigger your network is, the more likely you are to discover social and professional fulfillment.
Universities often organize sessions to help international students in bonding and development. You get the chance to learn and develop skills from your peers and also enhance your communication skills. If we look into the other small yet big benefits of networking you get to make friends from all around the world, thus you would have various travel destination opportunities to explore. Free stay to the guidance aspect of the places, you could be assured to have a few memorable trips to bag about in your memory box.
7. Develop your self-confidence
Adapting to new lifestyles, cultural differences, education techniques, etc contributes to the development of life skills. As a result of this, you gain flexibility, independence, teamwork efficiency, people skills, and many more. These takeaways have a major impact on enhancing your self-confidence which is the backbone of your existence. You will have to overcome hurdles and learn and adapt to new language and skills which will help shape your self-development and build your confidence and also help to immerse yourself into diversity which encourages positivity instead of rigidity or resistance.
8. Independence factor
Moving out of your nest is not a bad idea, especially in the present time when things are evolving at a very fast pace. Having higher education planned out abroad could be your first step to breaking your dependency and building confidence. This move of yours would challenge you on aspects like self-sufficiency, decision making, and in a sense of responsibility developing you to be future-ready.
Guidelines to Study Abroad Program
Choosing your graduation or post-graduation program abroad could be a little overwhelming. Here are a few guidelines that could be helpful in your zest for making your choices.
Under Graduation Study Abroad Guidelines
- Be specific about the subjects of your motivation, while keeping in mind the employment aspect. A few of the high-demand career choices include engineering, law, analytics, computer science, fashion, hospitality, technology, and finance.
- Ensure the admission requirements are as per the university. Generally, the evaluations are done based on your language proficiency test, 12th class score, etc.
- Analyze and plan the road map (like the electives or disciplines to be taken) for the study to achieve your aspired career.
- Look for degrees in English as this would cut down the barrier of foreign languages.
- Plan your financials, like tuition fees, living costs, food expenses, miscellaneous expenses, and more well in advance.
- Do your research on the university, like ranking, reputation, and campus activities or life.
- Research Visa guidelines, requirements, and application deadlines.
Post-Graduation Study Abroad Guidelines
- Research for the best university as per your subject of interest and the application deadlines and requirements.
- Ensure to check academic eligibility guidelines – Include IELTS or other expected language proficiency test, GPA eligibility, GMAT/GRE or relevant exam score, etc.
- Check for student visa requirements, and the probable costs like tuition fees, scholarships that could be availed, etc.
- In case of willingness for a country see for the course with in-demand jobs in the country.
- Learn about the on-campus part-time job flexibility and the overall part-time opportunities for international students.
- Research about the perks offered by the university like internship, industry interface, etc.
Many benefits can be expected and experienced while you study abroad. Not to forget the micro factors of benefits that as well contribute to the bigger development and betterment. This exposure or risk of moving out of comfort brings in a lot of benefits of personal as well as professional betterment in a package at a cost of basic and many more advantages that could not be penned down but only be felt. Rightly said, “Studying abroad is not just about education, but more about the experience”.
- Favorite quotes about studying abroad
- Why Students Choose Canada for Study
- How To Study Abroad on a Budget
- Challenges of Studying Abroad
- Free Education Countries For Indian Students
- Best Country for MS in Computer science
- Cheapest country to study abroad for Indian students
- Letter of introduction to Canada
- Cost of Studying In Australia For Indian Students
- Advantages of studying in Germany
- Advantages of Studying in Australia
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Benefits of pursuing a Postgraduate degree Abroad?
1) Boosts your CV weightage over peers
2) Opportunity to join an international student network
3) Learn the local language, culture, and festivities
4) Get to enjoy student benefits
5) You strengthen your steps toward being an independent person
What are the benefits of pursuing an Undergraduate degree abroad?
1) Diverse course options to choose from
2) Global exposure and expertise
3) Opportunity to learn new languages
4) Employment opportunities
5) Experience foreign culture and diversity that helps you imbibe global perspective
Which is the most popular country for studying abroad?
How will studying abroad help my Career?
Why is studying abroad good for Indian students?
Is studying abroad expensive?
What are the challenges when studying abroad?
Is studying abroad Stressful?
Which are the best cities to study abroad in Australia?
Is it possible to study for free abroad?