Scholarship for Indian Students in USA: All You Need to Know
Table of Contents[Show]
Studying in the United States is a cherished aspiration for numerous Indian students. However, the high cost of education often poses a significant obstacle. Fortunately, there are several scholarships specifically tailored for Indian students, which can alleviate the financial burden. In this article, we will explore various scholarships available to Indian students in the USA.
Documents Required for Scholarships in USA for Indian Students
When applying for scholarships in the USA, it is crucial to gather the necessary documents to strengthen your application. Here, we have assembled a list of essential documents required for scholarship applications.
- Copy of GPA: Scholarship providers often request a copy of your Grade Point Average (GPA) or academic transcripts. These documents provide an overview of your academic performance and demonstrate your capability to succeed in your chosen field of study.
- Standardized Test Scores: For certain scholarships, you may be required to submit standardized test scores, such as the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test), ACT (American College Testing), GRE (Graduate Record Examination), or GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). These scores help assess your academic aptitude and potential.
- Photo ID/Passport: Most scholarship applications will require a copy of your photo identification or passport as proof of your identity. In some cases, an Aadhar card may be accepted as an alternative form of identification.
- Proof of Language Proficiency: If the scholarship program is conducted in English, you would need to provide proof of language proficiency. Commonly accepted language proficiency tests include the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam scores.
- Cover Letter/Statement of Purpose: A cover letter or statement of purpose is an important document that allows you to express your motivations, goals, and aspirations. It provides insight into your academic and professional background, highlighting why you are an ideal candidate for the scholarship.
- Recommendation Letters: Scholarship applications often require recommendation letters from individuals who can attest to your academic achievements, character, and potential. These individuals may include professors, teachers, employers, or mentors who can provide valuable insights into your abilities and qualifications.
Read about How to Study Abroad without IELTS?
How to Apply for Scholarships in USA?
Before exploring the specific scholarships, it is important to grasp the general process of applying for scholarships in the USA. Here are a few initial steps to consider:
- Research: Begin by researching the scholarships available to Indian students in the USA. Look for scholarships offered by universities, governmental organizations, private foundations, and non-profit organizations. Make a list of scholarships that align with your academic goals and interests.
- Eligibility Criteria: Carefully review the eligibility criteria for each scholarship. Some scholarships may be merit-based, while others may focus on financial needs, specific fields of study, or extracurricular achievements. Ensure that you meet the requirements before proceeding with the application.
- Application Documents: Gather all the necessary documents required for the scholarship application. These may include academic transcripts, recommendation letters, statements of purpose, standardized test scores (such as SAT or GRE), and proof of financial need.
- Application Process: Follow the instructions provided by each scholarship program while filling out the application form. Pay attention to deadlines and submit the required documents within the specified timeframe. Some scholarships may require additional essays or interviews, so be prepared to showcase your skills and experiences.
- Financial Aid Offices: Reach out to the financial aid offices of the universities you are interested in attending. They can provide information on scholarships specifically available to international students, including Indian students.
- External Scholarship Sources: Explore external scholarship sources, such as Indian governmental agencies, foundations, and non-profit organizations. These organizations often offer scholarships to Indian students studying abroad.
Read about Benefits of studying abroad
Undergraduate scholarships for Indian students in USA
Undergraduate scholarships are for students who have completed their Studies till 12th std but haven’t completed their graduation. There are Scholarships available for Indian students planning to pursue graduation in the USA. We have listed down some of the most popular scholarships below;
1. Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship
The Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship is available for international students applying for master's or doctoral programs in the USA. This scholarship allows graduate students and young professionals to stay in the US for a year or two. The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses, and medical expenses.
Eligibility: Students with a minimum of 3 years of work experience pursuing a master's degree.
2. Tata Scholarship at Cornell University
This scholarship is available for Indian students who are admitted to Cornell University and demonstrate financial need. It covers full tuition fees for the duration of the undergraduate program.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the UG Tata Scholarship at Cornell University, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Nationality: Applicants must be citizens or residents of India.
- Education: Applicants must have graduated from an Indian senior secondary school.
- Financial Requirement: Applicants must demonstrate eligibility for need-based financial aid.
- English Language Proficiency: Applicants must submit a score from either the TOEFL or IELTS.
- TOEFL-iBT: Minimum score of 100.
- IELTS: Minimum overall band score of 7.0.
- Admission Status: Applicants must have received an admission offer from Cornell University for an undergraduate degree program.
3. Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships
The Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation offers scholarships to Indian students seeking to study in North America and Europe. This scholarship is open to students with expertise in their chosen fields. This program offers USD 100,000, covering tuition fees, one-way travel, and living expenses.
Eligibility: Indian citizens who have resided in India for the past six months at the time of application.
4. Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship
The program aims to promote international understanding, goodwill, and peace by providing financial support to exceptional students from around the world. The scholarship funds sustainable and high-impact projects for upto USD 30,000
Eligibility: Demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to service.
5. American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
This scholarship aims to support outstanding international students who have demonstrated leadership potential and a commitment to making a positive impact in their home countries or regions. The program covers all the expenses at the university.
Eligibility: To be considered for the scholarship the applicant must:
- Be an International Student with F-1 or J-1 Visa
- Show Proof of Additional Funds
- Give Fall Term Application
- You should have a minimum GPA of 3.8 out of 4.0 in your 11th and 12th-grade studies. Commitment to Leadership, Volunteerism, and Community Service
- Have an IELTS Score of 7.0 or above
Scholarships for Postgraduate Indian Students in USA
There are several scholarships available for postgraduate Indian students to study in the USA. Here are some popular scholarships:
1. Harvard South Asia Institute (SAI) Crossroads Emerging Leaders Program
This program provides scholarships for students from South Asia, including India, to attend the Crossroads Emerging Leaders Program at Harvard University. It covers travel, accommodation, and program expenses.
Eligibility: To study be applicable for this program you would need to fulfill these requirements:
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential, academic excellence, and a commitment to making a positive impact in their communities.
- Must be available to attend the Crossroads Emerging Leaders Program at Harvard University.
2. MIT Tata Center Fellowships
These fellowships are available for Indian students pursuing postgraduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in areas related to energy, water, and health. They provide financial support and research opportunities covering the full tuition fee of students.
Eligibility: Applicants should have a strong academic background and a demonstrated interest in addressing global challenges in these fields. Applicants should also meet the admission requirements of the specific program at MIT.
3. University of Chicago Odyssey Scholarship
This scholarship is available for international students, including Indian students, who are admitted to the University of Chicago. It provides full-tuition fees and a living stipend for four years.
Eligibility: Applicants must demonstrate financial need and academic merit.
4. University of Pennsylvania International Student Scholarship
This scholarship is available for international students, including Indian students, who are admitted to the University of Pennsylvania. It provides partial tuition fees and is renewable for four years.
Eligibility: Applicants must demonstrate financial need and academic merit.
5. University of Michigan-Flint Global Merit Scholarship
This scholarship is available for international students, including Indian students, who are admitted to the University of Michigan-Flint for postgraduate studies. It provides partial tuition fee waivers.
Eligibility: Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence and may be required to submit additional application materials.
Scholarships for MS in USA
MS scholarships are for students who want to pursue a master's in Engineering or a similar field. Here are some of the most MS scholarships in the USA for Indian Students:
1. Aga Foundation Scholarship
This program aims to assist students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievements, leadership potential, and a commitment to making a positive impact in their communities. The scholarship aims to empower individuals to become catalysts for positive change. It covers Covers tuition fees and living expenses (50% grant and 50% loan basis).
Eligibility: Must be a student from a developing country with exceptional academic performance.
2. Generation Google Scholarship
Initiated by Google, this program provides financial assistance to students pursuing computer science, computer engineering, or a related degree. Recipients of the scholarship also receive mentorship opportunities, professional development resources, and access to a community of like-minded individuals. You can get a $10,000 scholarship for the academic year under this program.
Eligibility: Must be pursuing a degree in computer science or related fields. Should also have demonstrated leadership and passion for technology.
3. AAUW International Fellowship
It is a fellowship program that supports women from around the world in pursuing graduate studies in the United States. The program aims to promote gender equity in education and empower women to become leaders in their respective fields. You can get a $18,000 scholarship for a master's or professional degree.
Eligibility: Must be a woman from any country other than the United States. Applicants must also be intending to pursue a full-time master's or doctoral degree at an accredited U.S. institution.
4. Global Study Awards
The awards are open to students from any country and cover a wide range of study programs and destinations. The scholarship aims to enable talented students to pursue their educational aspirations and gain valuable international experiences. You can get up to $12,262 scholarship amount under this program.
Eligibility: Demonstrated academic excellence and English proficiency.
Scholarships for MBA in USA
MBA scholarships are available to students who wish to pursue a master's in business. Below are some of the most popular scholarships for an MBA in the USA for Indian students:
1. Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship
The Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship is a prestigious scholarship offered by the Stanford Graduate School of Business. It aims to support Indian students with exceptional leadership potential who wish to pursue an MBA at Stanford. The program covers the Full tuition fee during the study period.
Eligibility: Indian students who are admitted to the Stanford University postgraduate program. Applicants must demonstrate a strong academic background, leadership potential, and a commitment to contributing to India's development.
2. Akhtarali H. Tobaccowala Fellowship
The Akhtarali H. Tobaccowala Fellowship is a scholarship program offered by the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. It provides financial assistance to exceptional students from emerging economies who are pursuing an MBA degree. You can get up to a $25,000 annual stipend for two years of the MBA program.
Eligibility: Demonstrate exceptional leadership potential, academic excellence, and a commitment to making a positive impact in their communities.
3. Tuck Non-Profit Fellowship
The Tuck Non-Profit Fellowship is a scholarship program offered by the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. It supports students with a strong interest in pursuing a career in the non-profit sector, giving a scholarship up to $10,000 - $29,648.
Eligibility: Students admitted to the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. Applicants must have a strong interest in pursuing a career in the non-profit sector.
4. McKinsey Award
The McKinsey Award is a scholarship program offered by the McKinsey & Company consulting firm. It is designed to attract top MBA talent to the company and support students pursuing an MBA degree.
Eligibility: Available for students pursuing postgraduate studies in business or related fields. Applicants must also demonstrate exceptional academic performance, leadership potential, and a strong interest in consulting.
5. Emerging Economy Fellowship
The Emerging Economy Fellowship is a scholarship program designed to support students from emerging economies. This fellowship aims to empower talented individuals from developing countries and provide them with opportunities to gain valuable knowledge and skills. You can get a scholarship of up to $55,000 under this program.
Eligibility: Open to students pursuing postgraduate studies at Yale School of Management. Applicants must have a strong interest in working in emerging economies and addressing global challenges.
Ph.D. Scholarships in USA
Below are some of the most popular scholarships for Ph.D. in USA for Indian students:
1. Penn State University Scholarship
Penn State University offers a range of scholarships to support students pursuing a Ph.D. degree. These scholarships are often based on academic merit, research potential, and financial need.
Eligibility: Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit, leadership potential, extracurricular involvement, and other factors.
2. Kent State University Scholarship
Kent State University also provides scholarships for Ph.D. students across various disciplines. These scholarships aim to attract and retain exceptional doctoral candidates. The scholarships at Kent State University enable students to focus on their research and academic pursuits covering up to $5000.
Eligibility: Students should have a minimum of 3.0 GPA on the 4.0 USA scale
3. Presidential Scholarship
The Presidential Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship program available at different universities across the United States. These scholarships are typically awarded to exceptional doctoral students based on their academic achievements and cover up to $26,000.
Eligibility: Exceptional academic achievements, leadership qualities, and community involvement.
4. Green River College Scholarship
Green River College offers scholarships specifically designed for international students pursuing a Ph.D. degree. These scholarships aim to support outstanding students who demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to their field of study.
Eligibility: Students must participate in an international program in the college
5. Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program is a prestigious fellowship offered by the U.S. Department of State. While not specifically a Ph.D. scholarship, it supports mid-career professionals, including those who already hold a Ph.D., in pursuing non-degree academic study.
Eligibility: Minimum of five years of professional experience, a bachelor's degree, English language proficiency, and leadership potential.
Simplify Your Study Abroad Journey with GetGIS
Planning to study abroad can be overwhelming with countless tasks and paperwork. GetGIS is here to simplify your study abroad journey and make the entire process hassle-free. Our team of experienced immigration experts will guide you through every step, from selecting the right university and program to handling visa applications and documentation.
Don't let paperwork and bureaucracy hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Contact GetGIS today and let us simplify your study abroad journey! Book a free consultation to take the first step toward your international education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it hard to get a scholarship in the USA?
How much percentage is required to get a scholarship in the USA?
How much GPA is required to get a full scholarship in the USA?
Does IELTS score matter for scholarships?
Is it easier to get a scholarship in Canada or the USA?
Is there an age limit for scholarships in the USA?