Top 20 Highest Paying Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
Table of Contents[Show]
- Types of Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
- How to Find a Part-time Job in the USA for Indian Students?
- Government Regulations for Part-Time Jobs in the USA for International Students
- Tax Considerations for Part-Time Jobs in the USA
- Embark on Part-time Job Journey in the USA
Are you a student immigrating to the USA and wondering about the part-time job opportunities available? Or maybe you're already in the USA but looking to earn extra income while studying? In either case, this blog is for you.
We have compiled a guide highlighting the top 20 highest-paying part-time jobs in the USA for students. Whether you prefer on-campus jobs or off-campus or online gigs, we've got you covered.
Types of Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
Finding a part-time job in the USA for students, while studying, can provide valuable work experience, help cover living expenses, and offer an opportunity to engage with the local community. Students have the option to explore on-campus, off-campus, and online part-time job opportunities.
Here are the types of part-time jobs in the USA for International students.
On-Campus Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
These positions are located within the university or college campus and offer convenience and flexibility to students. These part-time jobs in America often provide a supportive environment and allow students to balance their academic and work commitments effectively.
Below table consists of part-time jobs in the USA for students and salary per hour.
Average Salary per Hour (USD)
Campus Tour Guide
Campus Event Staff
IT Support Assistant
$13 - $20
Food Runner or Catering Assistant
Book Store Assistant
Let us now deep dive and understand what each of these part-time work positions entails:
- Tutor: Assist fellow students in specific subjects, offering guidance, explanations, and study support.
- Department Assistant: You will provide support to a specific department within the university or college with tasks such as organizing files, preparing documents, etc.
- Research Assistant: Aid faculty members or researchers in their projects, conducting literature reviews, collecting data, and performing experiments.
- Library Assistant: Help with book circulation, shelving, customer service, and assisting students with research.
- Administrative Assistant: Provide administrative support, such as data entry, filing, scheduling appointments, and assisting with office tasks.
- Campus Tour Guide: Conduct campus tours for prospective students and their families, showcasing the campus facilities and answering questions.
- Campus Event Staff: Help organize and execute campus events, including setting up venues, managing registrations, and providing event support.
- IT Support Assistant: If you are tech-savvy, then this could be the best part-time job for students in the USA, You have to help students and staff with technology-related issues, troubleshoot computer problems, and provide technical assistance.
- Food Runner or Catering Assistant: You may be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely delivery of food to different locations on campus or assisting with setting up and serving food at events on Campus.
- Book Store Assistant: Your responsibilities may include helping students locate books and merchandise, organizing inventory, assisting with textbook returns or rentals, etc.
Off-Campus Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
Off-campus part-time jobs are available outside the university and can offer a broader range of opportunities. Off-campus employment allows students to gain industry-specific experience, develop transferable skills, and network with professionals outside of the academic setting.
Here are some popular Off-Campus part-time job salaries in the USA for international students
Average Salary per Hour (USD)
Hotel Desk Clerk
Call Center Representative
Food Delivery Driver
Personal Trainer/Fitness Coach
- Sales Associate: Assist customers with their purchases, handle transactions, and maintain a clean and organized store environment.
- Hotel Desk Clerk: Greet guests, check them in/out, handle reservations, and provide information about hotel services and amenities.
- Call Center Representative: They handle inbound or outbound phone calls on behalf of a company, assisting customers with inquiries, providing information, or resolving issues.
- Food Delivery Driver: Deliver food orders to customers' locations in a timely and efficient manner, ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Personal Trainer/Fitness Coach: Create personalized fitness programs, provide instruction on exercises and proper form, and motivate clients to achieve their fitness goals.
Online Part-time Jobs in the USA for Students
In today's digital age, online part-time jobs offer flexibility, allowing students to work from home or anywhere with an internet connection. They provide valuable skills, enhance time management, and offer opportunities to earn income while balancing academic commitments.
Here are some popular online part-time jobs in the USA for Indian students
Average Salary per Hour (USD)
Freelance Content Writer
Social Media Manager
- Online Tutor: Provide academic assistance and guidance to students in specific subjects, helping them improve their understanding and performance.
- Freelance Content Writer: Create written content for various purposes, such as articles, blogs, website copy, or marketing materials, on a freelance basis.
- Graphic Designer: Design visual elements for digital or print media, including logos, illustrations, and marketing materials, using creative software.
- Web Developer: Build and maintain websites, ensuring functionality, user experience, and responsiveness using coding languages and web development tools.
- Social Media Manager: Manage social media accounts for businesses or organizations, create engaging content, and interact with followers to build an online presence.
How to Find a Part-time Job in the USA for Indian Students?
Finding a part-time job in the USA for students can be an exciting opportunity. Here are some effective ways to search for part-time job opportunities:
- University Career Services: Utilize the resources provided by your university's career services department. They often have job boards, workshops, and counseling services specifically tailored to help students find part-time jobs.
- Online Job Portals: Explore popular online job portals such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and SimplyHired. These platforms have dedicated sections for part-time and student jobs.
- Networking: Tap into your personal and professional networks. Inform your friends, classmates, professors, and advisors that you are seeking part-time employment. They may be aware of job openings or can provide valuable referrals.
- Job Fairs and Events: Attend job fairs, career expos, and networking events organized by your university or local community. These events provide opportunities to meet employers and learn about part-time job options.
- Consider freelancing: Platforms such as Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr. allow you to offer your skills and services remotely to clients worldwide.
Government Regulations for Part-Time Jobs in the USA for International Students
International students holding an F1 visa can explore on-campus job opportunities in the USA starting from their first year of study.
However, there are certain restrictions for students who want to pursue off-campus jobs during the initial year. F-1 students have the option to engage in three types of off-campus employment:
1. Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
This is an integral part of the academic curriculum and requires SEVIS authorization from the Designated School Official (DSO). CPT authorizations are printed on Form I-20, and they may have more than one at any given time.
2. Optional Practical Training (OPT)
OPT allows international students to work temporarily in a job related to their field of study. It is divided into pre-completion OPT and post-completion OPT.
- Pre-Completion OPT: Students can work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) or full-time during breaks and non-enrollment periods after completing one academic year of their program.
- Post-Completion OPT: After completing their program of study, students can work full-time for up to 12 months. They can apply for post-completion OPT up to 90 days before their program end date and up to 60 days after their program end date.
3. STEM OPT Extension
Students with degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics may be eligible for a 24-month extension of their post-completion OPT.
To qualify for the STEM OPT extension, students must meet specific criteria such as having a STEM degree listed in the STEM Designated Degree Program List and being employed by an E-verify enrolled employer.
Tax Considerations for Part-Time Jobs in the USA
International students must understand the specific tax rules that apply to their income from part-time jobs. Below are some key points to consider
- Tax treaties may provide exemptions for certain students, but filing a tax return is still necessary.
- Even if income is exempt, students earning from taxable scholarships or fellowships must file a tax return.
- Unlike some countries, there is no minimum income requirement for filing taxes in the USA.
Embark on Part-time Job Journey in the USA
Part-time jobs in the USA offer international students the opportunity to earn above-average wages, with an average monthly income of around $800 (approximately 65,310 INR) at the entry-level. This income can significantly contribute to covering everyday expenses.
With GetGIS by your side, you can make your dreams a reality. Our comprehensive range of services, including PR services, job seeker visa assistance, post-landing support, LinkedIn optimization, resume writing, and job search assistance, will equip you with the tools and guidance you need to land abroad and secure the perfect part-time job.
Take the first step today by booking a free consultation with our immigration experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Freshers get jobs in the USA?
What are the restrictions on weekly working hours for international students in the USA?
Is it easy to get a part-time job in the USA for Indian students?
How much money is required to study in the USA in Indian rupees?
Can international students work full-time in the USA after completing their studies?