Australia Student Visa - Process, Requirements, Process & Fees
Table of Contents[Show]
- Benefits of an Australian Student Visa
- Eligibility Criteria for an Australian Student Visa
- Australia Student Visa Requirements: Document Checklist
- Australia Student Visa Application Process
- What is the Character Requirement for an Australian Visa?
- Australia Student Visa Processing Time
- Australian Student Visa Fees
- What Next After Australia Student Visa Application Submission?
- Get Ready to Head to Australia with GetGIS!
Let’s understand the Australia student visa requirements, process & fees in 2023. According to the latest changes introduced by the Government of Australia, there are changes in the Australian student visa fees. Read on to learn more!
Australia is a popular immigration destination due to its great quality of life, successful economy, and diversified population, which is already home to immigrants from all over the world.
If you're aiming to study in Australia, read on for expert advice and assistance in obtaining an Australian student visa. The Australian student visa is also known as the Australian student visa (Subclass 500).
Benefits of an Australian Student Visa
This Visa grants you the opportunity to stay in Australia for up to 5 years - as per your enrolment and the length of the course you have signed up for.
With an Australian student visa, you can:
- Study at any university in Australia
- Travel in and out of Australia as necessary
- Work part-time during your course of study for up to 20 hours every week
- This visa permits students to work in Australia once they graduate. It's the first step towards obtaining an official job in Australia and applying for an extended stay.
- As dependents under your student visa, your spouse and children may accompany you to Australia.
Eligibility Criteria for an Australian Student Visa
Let's go over the eligibility criteria for an Australian visa as per the official government regulations now. To apply for an Australian visa, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- Enrol in a course of study in Australia
- Meet the required English language proficiency scores
- Obtain international health insurance
- Have enough funds to support yourself for your stay
- Be a temporary entrant
- Meet the Australian government’s character requirement
- Meet the necessary health requirements
- Sign an Australian values statement
- Clear your debt to the Australian Government
- Not had a previous visa canceled or a visa application refused
There is no Australian student visa age limit. You must only be over 6 years of age to apply.
Australia Student Visa Requirements: Document Checklist
The Australia student visa requirements are stated below. To obtain your student visa, you must provide the following documents:
- Australian student visa application form 157A with all necessary details filled in
- Copy of your passport
- Certificate of Enrolment from the university (COE)
- Evidence of funds
- Health insurance cover (OSHC)
- English proficiency test scores
- Background check results
- Two recent passport-sized photos
- Proof of Accommodation
- Proof of payment of the Australia student visa fee
- Departure Tickets
- The Long stay application form (for a period of more than 90 days)
- Copies of your educational qualifications
- Non-immigrant Visa Application
- Digital copy of photographs
*Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE): A CoE is a legal document provided by your university that certifies your enrollment and payment of the requisite tuition costs.
*Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): SHC is a type of health insurance for overseas students and their families. OSHC assists you in meeting the costs related to healthcare that you may acquire while in Australia.
Australia Student Visa Application Process
The Australia student visa process is quite straightforward. Let’s look at it step by step.
- Step 1: Get your Proof of English Language proficiency. For migration purposes and all visa applications requiring evidence of English language ability, Australia recognises IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE scores.
- Step 2: Get enrolled in a course of study in Australia. If you have a university offer letter, you must accept it and pay the tuition costs. You will receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the school.
- Step 3: Create an account on the official immigration website. Generally, you can apply for an Australian visa online. This allows you to keep track of your progress. You must create an account on the Department of Home Affairs website before you can begin your visa application.
- Step 4: Consolidate the required documents when applying for an Australian student visa. Check the document list given above to see whether you have all the necessary paperwork.
- Step 5: Apply with the online ImmiAccount application system. It's probably a good idea to apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before the start of your course.
- Step 6: Finally, you have to pay the visa application fee. After submitting your application, you will be assigned a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). This should be preserved so you can monitor your application online.
- Step 7: You may be required to complete a health check and possibly an interview.
- Step 8: You are ready to travel to Australia! Because your visa is electronic, you should print the Visa Grant letter and keep it with your travelling documents when you arrive in Australia.
What is the Character Requirement for an Australian Visa?
You must be of good character to enter Australia on a student visa. This includes a criminal background check to ensure you do not have a significant criminal record.
You may also be required to obtain a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or a police statement, as well as fill out a Character Statutory Declaration Form.
Australia Student Visa Processing Time
The Australia student visa processing time is quite short. A visa application is typically processed within a month, but it could take up to three months.
Australian Student Visa Fees
The Australia student visa fees must be paid in full when you submit your visa application. The Australian government has raised the cost of a student visa application to AUD 710 as of July 1, 2023. If this is your second or subsequent onshore visa renewal, the cost of one Australian student visa is expected to be significantly higher. In that instance, you will be charged an extra $700 fee, known as the Subsequent Temporary Application fee.
What Next After Australia Student Visa Application Submission?
Once submitted, you must wait to hear back from the official agency. If approved, you will be informed of the following details:
- your visa authorisation number
- your visa conditions your visa expiration date
When in Australia, keep a copy of the ruling with you.
In case your visa is denied, you will be notified of this writing. It will explain why your visa was rejected and whether you have the right to have the decision reviewed.
*Even If your visa is rejected, you will not receive a refund of the application fee.
Get Ready to Head to Australia with GetGIS!
A student visa allows you to enter Australia up to 90 days before the start of the course of study. You will have to inform your education provider of your new resident address within seven days of arrival. You must also notify them of any future address changes within seven days.
If you are looking to apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia, you may find the process complex and overwhelming. Fortunately, GetGIS Immigration consultancy services are here to help simplify the journey for you. Our team of experts has years of experience and knowledge to help you achieve your immigration goals.
Book a free consultation and kickstart your journey toward Australian Permanent Residency!
- Cost of Living in Australia: A Guide for Students and Families
- 35 Interview Questions and answers for Australian Student Visa
- Australia Intakes for 2023 - 2024: Fall, Spring, Summer Intakes
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should you choose Australia?
Do I require translated documents?
What is the minimum bank balance required for an Australian visa?
How many different types of visas are there in Australia?
Can I apply for a visa to Australia online?