How To Get PR in Australia For Indian Students After Study
Table of Contents[Show]
- Australia Permanent Residency
- Highlights of a Permanent residency visa include
- Become Permanent Residents
- Post-study Visa Options for international students
- Documents required for Australian PR visa
- Tips on How to increase your chance of securing PR
- Tracking the status of the Australian PR application process
The Island nation, popularly called “The Land Down Under”, has ever since been famous for reminding kangaroos, koalas, Crocodile Dundee, and the outback. Australia offers laid-back culture and an atmosphere to breathe in. The country has welcomed candidates who want to study in Australia from all around the world to explore their education journey in some of the world's best universities.
Thanks to the nation’s welcoming culture have made Australia one of the prime destinations to study, work and settle abroad. From to January - July 2022, more than 5 lakh international students are pursuing higher studies in Australia, of which Indians are the second-highest student population. Many are willing to move to Australia for higher education, due to the high standards of living and better career opportunities, most probably wish to settle down in the nation and further proceed to apply for Permanent Residency.
We have organized the guide for you. This guide would enrich you with the knowledge of How to get PR in Australia after study, and the necessary guidance on how to increase your chances of securing Australia PR from India.
Australia Permanent Residency
An Australian Permanent resident is an immigrant who has relocated to the country but has not yet been granted citizenship. A permanent resident of Australia has the eligibility to enter and leave the country whenever they want.
Highlights of a Permanent residency visa include
- PR (Permanent Residence) visa gives you the permit to study, work, and stay in the country, with NO restrictions imposed.
- PR holders have access to the “Medicare” scheme provided by the Australian Government.
- PR holders don’t get to avail of the “HELP” scheme (loan program to defer the cost of their tuition fee) like Australian citizens.
- PR visa holders are eligible to become Australian citizens after a certain period of time.
Become Permanent Residents
To avail PR visa after completing their study program, one need to apply for the skilled visa through the SkillSelect program, managed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. It is an online portal for candidates to submit EOI (expression of interest).
The portal provides skilled workers with access to different PR visas, both on a permanent and provisional basis. The portal functions as an automated system, wherein it rolls out ITA to top-ranking applicants twice monthly. The conditions for application includes:
- Age (16 – 49)
- Personal information of the candidate
- Nominated employment
- Education and work experience details
- English language proficiency results
- Skill assessment scores for the nominated occupation
- Business and investment experience
Post-study Visa Options for international students
Post Study Work Visa
This work visa offers a 2-year permit to work in Australia with No restrictions. This visa can be availed by those who have completed a minimum of two years of the full-time study program (bachelor or Masters) in Australia.
This visa is like a hindrance breaker for those who are tense that they neither have an employer sponsorship nor the required points to meet the skilled migration visas. Australia’s Post-Study Work Visa is your access to meet the requirements for a PR.
Skilled Migration (Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189)
This visa type is for applicants who have not been sponsored by an employer or an Australian resident (family member). Skilled migrant visa eligibility is based on the applicants’ skills, language proficiency, and qualifying points. The point is allotted based on various factors like age, education qualifications, and English language proficiency.
Having received this visa you become eligible to stay in Australia for 5 years, with multiple entries granted for out–the–country travel. Once you have completed your 4 years of stay under the visa you gain the eligibility to apply for citizenship and in the case, you have only stayed for 2 years of the 5 years of visa tenure, still, you hold the eligibility to renew your visa for another 5 years further. Other types are skilled regional visa subclass 491 & Skilled nominated visa subclass 190.
If we look into the cost of applying for the visa, the skilled independent visa application cost is AUD 4,045, and so as to apply for a visa you need to pass the following eligibility or requirements
- Age (Below 45 years)
- Nominate an occupation matching your skills and qualifications
- A minimum score of 65 points on the points test
- English language proficient
- Have the applicants' skills assessment testing done by the authority/officials in charge
- Acceptable health and character requirements as per standards set by authority
- Receive an invitation to apply from Skill Select
This is another well-known way to get long term visas in Australia. Under this Employer sponsors international workers by providing them with employment opportunities hence the feasibility to work and stay in Australia. One of the key benefits is that under this sponsor visa the sponsored applicant gets to enjoy an indefinite stay and access to MediCare, multiple out-the-country travel feasibility for 5 years, and last but not least opportunity to sponsor relatives for various Australian Visas.
Employer Nomination Scheme offers multiple gateways to filter the incoming applicants & another one is the Direct Entry System. The applicants under the direct entry system would require to stick to the eligibility criteria which is
For position, the employee is nominated
- Must be genuine and valid position
- Must be full time position with a tenure of minimum of 2 years form the time of visa acquiring
- Position must be listed on the Skilled Occupation List
- Include T&C same as offered to Australian citizens and permanent residents
For Nominating employer
- Be lawfully and currently operating in Australia
- Meet the requirement for employee training
- Not have any adverse info about them or any person associated with them
Documents required for Australian PR visa:
- Education Certificates
- Character certificate & Birth certificate
- Offer letter
- Employer reference letter
- Nomination proof
- 2 passport size photographs
- Past 3 months bank/banking statement
- Salary slip
- Statement of income tax
- Passport having a validity of more than 6 months
- Statement funds proof
- Police and medical certificate if asked by DIBP ( Department of Immigration and Border Protection)
- Spouse skill documents if applying for visa
- IELTS/PTE test results
- Business reference letters
Tips on How to increase your chance of securing PR
1. Working in Australia Post study
Working in Australia Post Study using Temporary Graduate Visa will help you extend your stay in the country and brush up on the required skills and language proficiency. Those who have graduated recently from an educational institution in Australia are eligible to apply for this Visa.
2. Focus on increasing your qualifications
As a higher qualification adds more points to your point score. Like for diplomas and similar degrees, you gain 10 points, while for bachelor degree adds 15 points and for highest degree i.e. doctoral adds 20 points.
3. Age factor
The less the age the higher the points scored.
4. Job experience
Having work experience in Australia fetches you additional points. For example, if you have at least 1 year of experience post-study, you gain an additional 5 points.
5. Try Opting for regional universities
If you are able to complete your degrees from a regional area, for example Southern Queensland, you avail extra benefits when applying for a PR visa.
6. Increase the proficiency of the test scores
Demonstrate higher Language proficiency (English) test scores
7. Try enrolling for the Professional year program
Candidates who have completed this one-year course program get to enjoy an additional 5 points.
Tracking the status of the Australian PR application process:
Step. 1 Visit VEVO
Step. 2 Select your travel document type.
Step. 3 Fill in all the required information like TRN number, Visa grant & evidence number & more.
Step. 4 Fill in your personal information like date of birth, Country details & passport number.
Step. 5 Submit the information.
Australia has ever since been a very welcoming nation and majorly looks for applicants who wish to have a long-term association with the country. When choosing a course it is very important to think and weigh every factor associated with the decision, what could be the possible prospects, the chances of converting to PR, and many more. Migration policies, employment or occupation list, etc are in a constant state of flux, and having updated knowledge and guidance is the key to successful immigration, in short, do your research right.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can international students stay back in Australia post-study?
What is the minimum IELTS score required for Australian Immigration? A minimum IELTS score of 6 is required for Australian Immigration.
How many hours are students permitted to work in Australia?
Is Australia PR friendly for international students?
What is the cost involved for Australian PR?
What is the best visa to get Australian PR?
Which jobs are currently high in Demand in Australia?
Which course is best for PR in Australia?
What are the highest-paid jobs in Australia?
What is a good score for Australian PR?