Working Hours for International Students in Australia
Table of Contents[Show]
- Benefits of Working as a Student in Australia
- Working Hours For Students in Australia
- Different Pathways of Subclass Visa Working Hours
- Study in Australia: Your Pathway to Global Education with GetGIS!
We know that students who prefer to relocate their academics to Australia decide to manage their expenses independently. But education and part-time jobs in Australia seem different from any other country. They concentrate on students’ welfare and academic grades by regulating them to set working guidelines. In this blog, you will have detailed information about the working hours in Australia for international students.
Benefits of Working as a Student in Australia
Before checking out the students' working hours in Australia, let’s understand why having a part-time job is beneficial. Below are some of the major benefits of working as students in Australia.
- Financial Independence: Working part-time enables students to cover some of their living expenses, reducing their financial burden and allowing them to enjoy their time in Australia without constant financial stress.
- Skill Development: Part-time work provides students with an opportunity to enhance their soft skills, such as communication, teamwork, time management, and problem-solving, which are highly valued by employers worldwide.
- Networking Opportunities: Working while studying allows students to build a professional network within their field of interest, increasing their chances of securing internships or full-time positions in the future.
- Cultural Immersion: Engaging in part-time jobs exposes students to the Australian work culture, providing a deeper understanding of the country's professional landscape and enhancing their overall cultural immersion.
Working Hours For Students in Australia
International Students with the Australian Study Visa have the leverage of working part-time and full-time based upon certain regulations by the Australian Government. The Australian government has updated its work hour restriction from 40 hours per fortnight to 48 hours. The Australian week functions from Monday to Sunday and you can work according to these hours for two weeks.
On-Campus Working Hours
On-Campus working hours can vary depending on the University and its specific policies. However, most commonly universities in Australia have timings from 9 am to 5 pm with an hour of lunch break from 12 am to 1 pm. So you can get your part-time jobs at a specific time with the concern of the universities. On calculating these college hours you can plan wisely to work your allotted 48 hours of work time. But be cautious in maintaining the preferred academic and attendance percentage by the universities, or it may lead to your visa being canceled as per the norms of the Department of Home Affairs by the Australian Government.
Off-Campus Working Hours
The off-campus working hours include the weekend holidays and mid-term break where you can work full-time without any restrictions of hours. The main point to be remembered is to have a clear vision of holiday schedules and get the concern of your full-time workings from the universities, where you pursue your degree. In case of any concerns and questions about your work rights as an international student, while doing your full-time, it’s best to seek advice from your university’s international student support services or to contact the Department of Home Affairs directly. To get a PR Visa refer to the link below.
Confused about “How to get PR in Australia for Indian Students after study”, read this blog to get clear about the facts.
Different Pathways of Subclass Visa Working Hours
Here are the different pathways for students’ Subclass Visa working hours to get a clear clarification.
- Student Visa Subclass 500: An International Student with a Student Visa Subclass 500 is generally allowed to work a maximum of 48 hours per fortnight during the regular academic semester or term while their course is in session. The work permission for this visa is automatically granted. During scheduled course breaks, such as semester breaks or holidays, students could work full-time.
- Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590: The Student Guardian Visa Subclass allows you to stay as a legal guardian for the student for five years. These Visa holders of the Student Guardian Visa are not allowed to work in Australia.
- Student Visa Subclass 485: This Student Visa Subclass 485 also known as Graduate Visa allows international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution to stay and work in Australia temporarily. The post-study work stream of this Visa grants work rights for two to four years without any restrictions in hours depending upon the level of study completed in Australia.
- Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485: In this stream of Visa, international students are allowed to work up to 18 months without any hour restrictions based upon the completed specific trade qualifications.
- Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 (Post-Study Work Stream): The Post-Study Work stream of the Temporary Graduate Visa grants work rights for international students for those who have completed their higher education qualifications in Australia. The duration of work rights depended on the level of study completed. Basically, the international student with this type of Visa is similar to the Student Visa Subclass.
Study in Australia: Your Pathway to Global Education with GetGIS!
Embark on a transformative journey of education and cultural immersion in Australia with GetGIS by your side. As a leading study-abroad partner, we offer unparalleled support and guidance to help you pursue your academic dreams in one of the world's most renowned education destinations.
Whether you envision studying engineering in Sydney or Melbourne, we have the expertise to make it happen. Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to enrich your life and future. Book a free consultation today and let GetGIS be your pathway to a world-class education in Australia!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours can International students work in Australia?
How many hours a student can work in Australia?
What is the maximum hours offered by the Australian Government?
Is the working hours calculated during the holidays?
Is a part-time job allowed in Australia for international students?
What are the best part-time jobs for international students in Australia?
Is Australia costly for Indian students?