Guide to Spouse Visa Germany: Eligibility Requirements and Process
Table of Contents[Show]
Are you and your spouse dreaming of starting a new chapter of your lives in Germany, but find the visa process overwhelming and confusing? In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the eligibility requirements and step-by-step process for obtaining a German spouse visa.
Spouse Visa Germany
The Germany Spouse Visa also known as Germany dependent visa for a spouse, allows individuals to join their spouse who is a German citizen or a permanent resident in Germany. This visa enables spouses to live, work, and study in Germany for an extended period, fostering family reunification. To obtain a German spouse Visa, specific requirements must be met.
The German spouse visa offers the advantage of accessing the German healthcare system and educational and vocational opportunities.
Benefits of Spouse Visa Germany
A Spouse Visa for Germany offers several significant benefits. It allows spouses of German citizens or permanent residents to join their loved ones in the country, enabling family reunification, and more. Let’s take a look at them below:
- Study Opportunities: Germany is renowned for its world-class education system. With a Spouse Visa, you can access this system, enroll in universities, and pursue various academic programs, contributing to personal and career growth.
- Access to Healthcare: As a Spouse Visa holder, you and your family can benefit from Germany's excellent healthcare system. You'll have access to high-quality medical services and insurance coverage, ensuring the well-being of your loved ones.
- Social Security Benefits: Germany provides a robust social security system. Spouse Visa holders may be eligible for various social benefits, including family allowances, child support, and parental leave, enhancing financial security.
- Better Standard of Living: Germany offers a high standard of living with a strong economy and ample job opportunities. As a Spouse Visa holder, you can access these benefits, contributing to an improved quality of life for you and your family.
- Spouse Can Apply for Residence Permit: With a Spouse Visa, your partner can apply for a residence permit in Germany. This facilitates family reunification and allows both of you to build a life together in this prosperous European nation.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a Spouse Visa in Germany
The following requirements must be met by the applicants and the spouse in order to apply for a German Visa.
1. Age and Language Requirement: Applicants must be over 18 and have basic German language skills, except for individuals with EU Blue Cards, self-employed workers, researchers, and highly skilled individuals.
2. Residence Permit Issuance: If the spouse already has a residence permit, the applicant can also apply by meeting the requirements, but the applicant might have to wait two years if the spouse obtained the permit after the marriage.
3. Financial Stability: The applicant must prove financial stability to support themselves while staying in Germany. Additionally, the non-German spouse needs to provide proof of employment or alternative sources of income.
4. Health Insurance: The applicant must obtain health insurance coverage in Germany that meets the minimum requirements set by the German government. The options available include purchasing private health insurance or enrolling in the statutory health insurance scheme.
Documents for Spouse Visa Germany
The table below covers the spouse visa Germany checklist for the visa application.
|An Indian passport with a minimum validity of 3 months beyond the intended stay period in Germany. It should also have at least two blank pages available.
|Completed and signed the application form, declaration form, and contact information form as per the requirements.
|A photocopy of the passport pages that contain any previous visa stamps or entry stamps, if applicable.
|Two photographs taken in accordance with the specifications outlined by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
|Health insurance coverage meets the necessary minimum requirements set by the German government.
|An invitation letter from the person residing in Germany, who the applicant intends to join.
|Proof of Funds
|Documentation confirming sufficient funds to support the dependent in Germany.
|Spouse's Visa Copy
|A photocopy of the spouse's valid visa.
|Proof of Marriage
|Documents validating the marriage, such as marriage registration certificate and wedding photographs.
Application Process of Spouse Visa Germany
The application process for a German spouse Visa involves several steps. In the upcoming topics, we will delve into more details about who can apply, how to apply, when to apply, and where to apply for the Germany Spouse Visa.
Who Can Apply for a German Spouse Visa?
The following categories of people can typically apply for a German Spouse Visa:
- Spouses of German Citizens: If you are legally married to a German citizen, you are eligible to apply for a German Spouse Visa.
- Spouses of Permanent Residents: If your spouse is a permanent resident in Germany, you can apply for a German Spouse Visa to join them.
- Same-Sex Spouses: Same-sex spouses of German citizens or permanent residents have the same rights to apply for a German Spouse Visa as opposite-sex spouses.
- Civil Partners: If you are in a legally recognized civil partnership with a German citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for a German Spouse Visa.
How to Apply for a Spouse Visa in Germany?
Below is the step-by-step application process for a spouse visa for Germany from India:
Step 1: Prepare Your Application
- Determine the appropriate visa type and gather all the necessary documents for a spouse visa in Germany according to the requirements table mentioned above.
- Complete the application form, ensuring it is filled out accurately.
Step 2: Book an Appointment and visit the Center
- Schedule an appointment prior to visiting the Application Center (Walk-ins are not accepted). Further, Your appointment letter will be verified, and a token will be issued.
Step 3: Submit Your Application
- Present your documents and application form for verification.
- Ensure that your documents are arranged in the specified order and the application form is completed and signed.
- Incomplete forms or missing documents may require you to obtain another token.
Step 4: Information Entry
- The details from your application form will be entered into the online system by the Application Center.
- Review the printed copy of your application for accuracy and sign it.
- Parents must sign forms for applicants under 18 years of age.
Step 5: Payment and Receipt
- Pay the visa fee and retain the payment receipt for the collection of your processed application.
Step 6: Wait for the Response
- The processing time for the visa application may vary and typically takes around 3 months, although it is subject to the specific German Embassy/Consulate in your country.
When to Apply for a Spouse Visa in Germany?
As per the regulations outlined in the German visa policy, the time frame for submitting an application for a Visa for Spouses/Relatives of EU/German Nationals is as follows:
- Earliest Application: You can file your application up to 6 months prior to your planned trip to Germany.
- Latest Application: The application should be submitted at least 2 weeks before your intended trip.
- Recommended Application Timing: It is advisable to submit your application approximately 3 weeks before your intended date of entering Germany.
Where to Apply for a Spouse Visa in Germany?
To initiate the application process for a German visa for Spouses/Relatives of EU/German Nationals, you are required to submit your application at one of the authorized locations in your country of residence. These locations include:
- The German embassy
- The German consulate
- A designated visa center where Germany has outsourced visa submission services
Processing Time for Spouse Visa Germany
The Germany-dependent visa for spouse processing time typically ranges from 8 to 12 weeks, which is the standard duration for the procedure. It is important to ensure that all details provided in the form and supporting documents are clear and accurate to avoid any potential queries or delays in the process.
Cost of Spouse Visa Germany
The table below provides the German spouse visa fees and dependent minors fees in Germany
|Adult (18+ years)
|Minor (<18 years)
|Visa Application Fee
|Up to 7500 Euros (INR 6300)
|Up to 3750 Euros (INR 3200)
Let GetGIS Guide You to a Successful Spouse Visa Application
In conclusion, navigating the spouse visa application process in Germany can be a complex and overwhelming task. However, with the right information and guidance, you can overcome the challenges and fulfill your dream of living together with your spouse in Germany.
Moreover, if you're considering a Job Seeker visa in Germany, it's worth exploring the services offered by GetGIS Immigration consultant, GetGIS provides comprehensive support to individuals seeking employment opportunities in Germany, including post-landing services, job search assistance, LinkedIn optimization, and more. These additional services can greatly enhance your chances of finding suitable employment and settling down successfully in Germany.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I bring my spouse on a student visa to Germany?
Can a spouse work on a dependent visa in Germany?
Do I need to learn German to apply for a spouse visa?
Which Countries are exempted from applying for a German spouse Visa?
What is the validity of a German spouse visa?