UK Post-Study Work Visa (PSW UK): Unlocking Opportunities
Table of Contents[Show]
- Post-study work visa UK
- What is a Graduate Visa UK?
- What are the Benefits of the Graduate Route?
- PSW Visa Eligibility Requirements
- Eligibility Criteria for UK Graduate Route
- Which Courses are Eligible under the PSW Visa?
- Applying for the Post-Study Work Visa
- How Much Does the Graduate Route Cost?
- Visa Options After PSW Visa
In pursuit of top-notch education, students worldwide flock to the UK for degrees, with over 6 Lakh international learners annually. Post-education, aspirations for work in the UK arise, met by the PSW in the UK. This visa, streamlined by a point-based system, offers a pathway for graduates. While the application may seem intimidating, we've simplified every step, ensuring a smooth start to your journey.
Post-study work visa UK
Let’s understand the meaning of PSW. PSW stands for "Post-Study Work." In the context of the UK, the PSW visa refers to a type of visa that allows international students who have completed their studies in the UK to stay and work in the country for a certain period after graduation.
The UK Post-Study Work (PSW) visa is a program designed to allow international students who have completed a degree in the UK to remain in the country after graduation for work purposes. It was reintroduced in 2019 to attract talented individuals and provide them with an opportunity to gain practical work experience in the UK.
What is a Graduate Visa UK?
The Graduate Immigration Route serves as a transition for international students graduating from a UK institution to enter the workforce. Any student holding a tier-4 student visa who completes their degree becomes eligible for the benefits offered by the Graduate Immigration Route (GIR). This pathway permits them to remain in the UK post-graduation, facilitating a search for job opportunities and enabling them to work for a duration of up to 2 years.
What are the Benefits of the Graduate Route?
The UK Government's launch of the new Graduate Immigration Route (GIR) extends an opportunity for Indian students, enabling them to remain in the UK for up to two years after graduating from a UK institution.
- The Graduate Route allows post-graduation work or job searching in the UK without needing sponsorship, enabling flexibility in employment opportunities at any skill level.
- There are no set salary requirements and no limit to the number of international students who can benefit from this opportunity to stay in the UK.
- Graduates aren't constrained to a particular job or employer; they can hold multiple jobs at varying skill levels and switch employment during their visa duration.
- After securing suitable employment in the UK, individuals have the option to transition to a skilled work route, extending their stay beyond the initial two or three years.
PSW Visa Eligibility Requirements
The PSW (Post-Study Work) visa eligibility entails securing 70 points within the UK's points-based immigration system, mainly achieved by completing a qualifying course at a UK institution.
- Holds a valid student visa from a registered UK higher education provider with compliance credentials at the time of PSW application.
- Complete an undergraduate or higher-level degree in the UK and remain in the country throughout the study, except for specific exemptions related to study abroad or Covid-19-related circumstances.
- Not having previously obtained a PSW visa, passed necessary checks, and paid the application fee alongside the Immigration Health Surcharge.
- Government scholarship recipients must secure their home government's permission to stay in the UK under the PSW visa.
- There are no mandatory English language or financial requisites for PSW visa applicants.
- EU, EEA, or Swiss students possessing valid EU-settled or pre-settled status in the UK aren't required to seek a PSW visa to continue their stay. Individuals lacking permission via the EU settlement scheme can opt to apply for the PSW visa to maintain lawful status in the UK.
Eligibility Criteria for UK Graduate Route
Let’s check out the courses eligible under the PSW visa. It mainly includes degrees like a UK bachelor’s degree, a postgraduate degree (such as a PhD or Master's), or specific professional qualifications, including legal courses like the GDL, LPC, and Bar Practice Course.
- Qualification: Completion of a bachelor's, master's, or Ph.D. from a recognized UK university or higher education institution is mandatory.
- Study Location: The degree must be conferred by a UK higher education institution with a history of complying with immigration regulations.
- Visa Type: Applicants should possess a valid Tier 4 or Student visa during the application period or have finished their course within the preceding two years.
- Course Completion: Successful fulfillment of the degree program from a recognized UK university or higher education institution is required.
- Validity Period: Application for the UK post-study work visa must occur within two years of degree completion or within two years from the grant of the Tier 4 or Student visa.
- English Language Proficiency: Meeting English language prerequisites by passing an approved test or possessing an English-taught academic qualification recognized by UK NARIC as equivalent to a UK bachelor's or higher degree.
- Financial Obligations: Demonstrating self-sufficiency without relying on public funds, the required amount contingent on individual circumstances.
- Good Character: A clean criminal record and adherence to UK immigration laws are essential for eligibility.
Which Courses are Eligible under the PSW Visa?
The degree program must match what's indicated on the applicant's Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Also, their sponsoring higher education institution needs to verify this alignment. Let’s take a look at the courses eligible under PSW Visa.
- UK bachelor’s degree
- UK postgraduate degree (PhD, Masters). Professional course required for studying at the UK bachelor’s degree level or higher in a regulated profession by UK law or authority
- Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) certified by the Joint Academic Stage Board in England and Wales
- Legal Practice Course (LPC) in England and Wales, Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, or Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland
- Bar Practice Course (BPTC) in England and Wales, or Bar Course in Northern Ireland
- Bachelor’s in Medicine or Dentistry
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Applying for the Post-Study Work Visa
Before the expiration of your student visa, it's essential to seek the PSW Visa. You can initiate the application after your educational institution notifies the Home Office about your course completion under the student visa. Validating your identity and submitting the required documentation are imperative components of this application process.
- Access GOV.UK and navigate to the Graduate Route section. Click on "Start Now" to initiate your application process.
- Follow the guidelines provided on the website diligently to create your account, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Verify your identity by using your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or biometric passport as specified in the instructions.
- Fill in the application form accurately, provide all required information, and upload the necessary supporting documents as outlined in the guidelines.
- Complete the application process by making the payment for the application fee and the healthcare surcharge as specified by the requirements. Ensure all payments are made in accordance with the instructions provided.
How Much Does the Graduate Route Cost?
The fee for applying to the Graduate route stands at £700 for both the two and three-year application options. Additionally, you'll have to cover the Immigration Health Surcharge in your application, granting you access to the UK's National Health Service under similar terms as a permanent UK resident. This surcharge amounts to £624 per year, payable in full upon application. Dependents will also need to pay the £700 application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
Cost of Post-Study Work Visa
When applying for the Post-Study Work visa, there's a specific fee required. Once submitted, the UKVI assesses applications within 4-8 weeks of biometrics processing. During efficient processing times, some students receive responses a week earlier, indicating prompt feedback for applicants.
If you're a doctor, nurse, or employed in health or adult social care, consider checking eligibility for the Health and Care Worker Visa, which is a more cost-effective option without the annual immigration health surcharge.
Visa Options After PSW Visa
Transitioning from the UK Graduate route involves exploring visa options like work or family visas, the Skilled Worker route for skilled roles, and pathways to settlement. Alternative routes, such as the Innovator Founder program or partner visas, offer diverse opportunities. Seeking tailored advice is essential in navigating these choices.
- To maintain lawful status in the UK after the Graduate route expires, applying for a different visa or leave to remain is necessary.
- Available visa options include work visas, and family-based visas, depending on individual circumstances.
- Graduates in skilled roles can switch to the Skilled Worker visa route, requiring eligibility criteria fulfilment.
- Requirements for the Skilled Worker route involve an eligible job with a Home Office-licensed employer, meeting minimum salary thresholds, possibly adjusted for certain job types.
- A skilled Worker visa allows a path to settlement in the UK (indefinite leave to remain) after five years of continuous lawful residence.
- Considering the Innovator Founder route is an option for those aspiring to start a business in the UK.
- An alternative option involves applying based on a relationship with a settled person in the UK, like a partner visa.
- Seeking advice is recommended to determine suitable options for staying in the UK based on individual circumstances.
Find the Right Guidance for your PSW UK Visa with GetGIS!
In the process of applying for a visa, it's essential to understand that it's not solely about possessing the correct documents but also about presenting them truthfully and precisely. If you have further questions about the ins and outs of your overseas visa application, GetGIS is here to assist you. Our team of immigration specialists ensures that you don't just speed through your application process but instead, are thoroughly equipped, knowledgeable, and, most importantly, provided with a smooth experience unlike any other. Schedule a Free Consultation Today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to transition from a GIR to a work visa?
What steps should be taken once the UK Post Study Work Visa Expires?
What professional opportunities does the UK post-study work visa offer?
In what situations am I eligible for an exemption from health surcharge?
Are dependents eligible to seek the UK Graduate Visa?
How much time does it take to get a response on my UK Graduate Visa application?
What are the conditions of the Graduate route?