Average Cost of Living in the USA for Students & Immigrants
Table of Contents[Show]
The USA is one of the most bustling cosmopolitan with millions of people residing from across the globe. Being called as the hub of modern education and best employment opportunities, it becomes essential to analyze the cost of living in USA for students before immigrating.
In this article, we will explore the average cost of living in USA for students and immigrants.
Cost of Living in USA
Cost of living is the amount of funds needed to cover basic expenses such as housing, food, taxes, and healthcare in a certain place and time period.
This subjectively varies from person to person because of individual choices and even from city to city. The location plays a major role in analyzing the cost of living per person in the USA.
The basic costs are as follows:
- Accommodation costs approximately $1,800 (INR1,49,357) per month.
- Food costs approximately $500- $700 (INR 41,491- 58,087) per month.
- Travel and Health makes up around $300 (INR 24,894) a month.
- Utility costs approximately $150 (INR 12,447) per month.
Cost of Living in the USA for International Students
The estimated cost of living in the USA for international students is around $11,000 to $15,000 per year, which averages around $1,000 to $1,500 per month.
This also varies upon which city you choose to live and the lifestyle you adopt.
|Expense Name||Average Yearly|
|Books and Material||$900 - $2,000|
|Travel||$300 - $700|
|Accommodation||$9,800 - $11,100|
|Health Insurance||$700 - $1,100|
Cost of Living in the USA for a Family of 4
While immigrating with a family, the expenses and the average cost of living rise to a comparatively higher level. In addition to personal expenses, family expenses will have to be added to the budget which might feel overwhelming.
The average cost of living calculated is $7,985 which is INR 5,88,686 per month. The breakdown of the expenses is as follows.
|Item||Monthly cost||% of spending|
Top 5 Affordable Low Cost of Living Cities in the USA
The average cost of living highly depends upon the city in which you choose to reside. The cities with the best facilities at a highly affordable price with their average costs and cost of living in the USA state-wise are given below.
|Cities||Cost of Living Index||Average Rent||Average Groceries|
1. Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati is a city in Ohio, on the Ohio River. The city is famous for its affordable groceries and accommodation.
- A single person's estimated monthly costs are INR 79,754 ($961.1) without rent. According to the data, Cincinnati is 147.9% more expensive than Delhi, India.
- A one bedroom apartment in the city center will be available for approximately $1,260 which is INR 1,04,564.
2. Knoxville, TN
Knoxville is a city on the Tennessee River in eastern Tennessee. The night life, architecture and the shopping complexes are the highlights of this city.
- A single person's estimated monthly costs are INR 83,249 ($1,003) without rent. According to the indexes, Rent in Knoxville is, on average, 507.5% higher than in Delhi.
- Price of a 1 bedroom Apartment in the City Centre is approximately $1,600.
3. Memphis, TN
Memphis is a city on the Mississippi River in southwest Tennessee.
- Memphis is 156.7% more expensive than Delhi, India and a meal at a restaurant costs for around $16 which is comparatively on a lower price.
- A single person's estimated monthly costs are INR 84,215 ($1,014) without rent.
4. Richmond, VA
Richmond, the capital of Virginia, is among America’s oldest major cities. A single person’s estimated monthly costs are INR 86,343.0 ($1,040) without rent.
- Richmond is 170.7% more expensive than Delhi but the price of groceries is affordable and cheap.
- The health care index and the climate index are above average which makes the living conditions in the city favorable.
5. Louisville, KY
Louisville, Kentucky's largest city, sits on the Ohio River along the Indiana border. A single person's estimated monthly costs are INR 87,386 ($1,053.1) without rent.
- Louisville has the least expensive dairy groceries out of 141 city markets in America.
- Price of a 1 bedroom Apartment in the City Centre is approximately $1,440
Explore more about Everything You Need to Know About Intakes in USA
How to Manage the Cost of Living in the USA
Making proper budgeting decisions and managing the cost of living while living in a country like the USA can be a herculean task but after proper planning and analysis, it is quite possible.
Here are some tips as to how you can manage the average cost of living in the USA per month.
- Accommodation: Housing and rent are two factors that affect your budget at a higher level. If you are a student, try to stick to accommodation provided by the university rather than renting a separate flat as it will be cost effective. For a family accommodation, explore plots as well as flats and check according to your needs which one is budget friendly for you.
- Groceries and food: Food is something which one should not compromise on and choosing the best grocery market should highly depend upon the quality of food. Students who live in hostel accommodations should opt for the mess food as it saves a lot of money. Families should look for decent grocery markets nearby and get a hold upon the best and affordable ones. Looking for discounts and offers will be beneficial in the long run.
- Budgeting Decision: Spending what portion of money on what facilities should be decided on a monthly basis beforehand to spend economically. The average cost of living in the USA for international students rises up because of unplanned expenses. Families should plan their savings and investments to secure a better life in the USA ahead.
- Education Cost: Education in the USA is not inexpensive and before moving to another country for studies, all of the factors such as tuition fees, administration fees, semester charges, etc should be taken into consideration. The scholarships and grants should be focused upon to get access to affordable education.
Want to Move to the USA ? GetGIS is Here to Help!
If you're considering moving to the USA, navigating all of the factors can be complex and overwhelming. But don't worry, GetGIS (Global Immigration Service) is here to help you make your dream of moving to the USA a reality!
GetGIS is a trusted immigration service that specializes in assisting individuals with their immigration needs. Whether you're a student, a skilled worker, or seeking to reunite with family members in the USA, GetGIS offers comprehensive immigration solutions tailored to your specific requirements.
Take the first step and book a free consultation call and start your US immigration journey with no hassle! Your dream of moving to the USA is within reach with GetGIS by your side!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which states have the highest cost of living in the USA?
Is a loan available to manage the cost of living in the USA for Indian students?
How much can an Indian save in the USA?
Is it easy to find a job in the USA for Indian students?
What is the average estimated fee for undergraduate international students in the USA?