Australia to Implement Canada-like Point-based Immigration System to Attract Immigrants
- Australia opts to implement Canada-like points-based immigration system
- The revamped system aspires to become more simplified and attractive to immigrants
- The latest changes are targeted to attract immigrants to Australia.
Recently, the Australian government has proposed revamping the immigration system to simplify it and attract more skilled immigrants to the country. Immigration has always been a major source of economic and cultural enrichment for the country.
The latest proposal for reform in the long-standing, rigid system comes from the idea of stopping immigrants from choosing countries like Canada. The Australian government is looking to bring in a simplified points-based system like Canada to attract skilled migrants to contribute to the labor market.
Although Australia already has a point-based system, the quotes are limited to each occupation specific to its states and territories. The competition is high, and the processing time is longer compared to that of the points system used in the Canadian immigration process.
Canada's immigration points system is advanced and based on simpler eligibility criteria, fast-paced processing, and generous visa conditions. This makes it quite lucrative for highly talented and young immigrants.
Canada's immigration system is not a state-based affair either. The Constitution requires the federal government and the provincial government to share the responsibility for migration equally. This makes the application process seamless and easy to comprehend for migrants.
Australia is looking to draw on state and territory expertise and be supported by improved data collection and sharing between the governments. This place-based strategy will allow the government to move away from the isolation of states and territories and simplify the complex visa settings.
Australia is looking forward to implementing a plethora of changes in the immigration process within the next 3–6 months. According to the address by the Australian Minister of Home Affairs in the national press conference and the federal budget, Australia is going to implement changes like
- Streamlining and simplifying the skilled visa program by building a three-tiered processing system.
- Creating more pathways for permanent residency for student visa holders.
- Increasing the minimum salary requirements for the employer-sponsored visa holders
- Tightening the regulations around student visas to ensure students are studying and supporting Australia’s skill needs.
There are also a set of changes that are going to be effective on July 1, 2023. These changes include:
- Temporary Skilled Migration Income threshold to increase from A$53,900 to A$70,000.
- International student visa holders will be permitted to work up to 48 hours a fortnight.
- International students working in the aged care sector will be exempt from the 48-hour fortnightly work cap until December 31, 2023.
- New Zealand citizens will be eligible to apply for citizenship directly
- Certain subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa holders will be able to extend their visa for an additional 2 years
- Department’s visa application charges, on top of the regular CPI increase, will raise by 6%, but an additional 15% for select visitor and temporary visa subclasses and 40% for business innovation and investment visas
- Extra enforcement and compliance activities will be implemented to maintain the integrity of the migration system
The proposed adjustments seek to attract highly skilled individuals and promote regional development. These changes, if implemented effectively, have the potential to shape Australia's immigration landscape in a manner that supports economic growth, social cohesion, and the overall well-being of the nation.
Planning to Move to Australia this Year?
Are you planning to migrate to Australia this year? The immigration process to Australia can be confusing for anyone, but don’t worry! We are here to help. GetGIS has all the necessary information and resources to make your immigration journey smooth.Build your profile, check your eligibility, improve your English proficiency, and apply for PR in Australia with the help of GetGIS. Our experts will hold your hand until you get your permanent residency in Australia. So what are you waiting for? Book your free consultation today. And make your dream of moving to Australia come true.