Top 10 Toughest Courses in the World: Best Universities, Course Duration, Exams
Table of Contents[Show]
Ever wondered which academic path could truly be labeled as the pinnacle of challenge? If you think you know the toughest courses in the world, you might want to rethink your assumptions. Delving into the world of education, we've discovered that the Guinness World Records book holds the answer, and it might just surprise you that a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from the University of Hong Kong has secured its place as one of the world’s toughest bachelor degrees.
Which are the Toughest Courses in the World?
Explore this curated list to uncover the intricacies of the toughest courses in the world, where each course provides insights into the rigor, duration, and examinations that define academic excellence.
To pursue a career in medicine, clearing the NEET examination is a prerequisite. While the exam is not inherently difficult, the challenge lies in achieving a high aggregate score that secures a favorable rank. Medical courses, particularly MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery), are renowned for their difficulty.
Course Duration: The MBBS program demands a minimum of 5 years of intensive study, with an additional 3 years dedicated to specialization. Subsequently, candidates can pursue further specialization for an additional 3 years.
NEET Examination: The qualifying marks in the 45 - 50 percentile for the general category
Best Universities to Pursue Medicine
2. Chartered Accountancy
Chartered Accountancy (CA) stands as one of the toughest courses in the world and the sought-after in commerce, known for its rigor and complexity. The curriculum is expansive, demanding intelligence, perseverance, and substantial hard work from individuals aspiring to become CAs.
The journey involves clearing three levels: CPT (CA foundation), IPCC (CA intermediate), and CA final exam.
- CA is a challenging commerce course, requiring 3 to 4 years for completion and examination clearance.
- The curriculum is vast, demanding intelligence and hard work.
- While the first exam (CPT) is relatively easier, the IPCC and CA final exams pose significant challenges.
- Around 15-20% of CPT candidates qualify for the IPCC examination based on success rates.
Best Universities to Pursue Chartered Accountancy
Engineering demands proficiency in challenging disciplines such as mathematics, physics, and statistics. The world’s toughest engineering course is Nuclear Engineering which deals with nuclear energy and power plants.
The complexity of engineering arises from the expectation that engineers tackle intricate problems in their workplaces, necessitating an understanding of complex concepts and techniques.
The duration of engineering programs abroad is 3-5 years depending on the country
For top universities like MIT and Stanford, you need to clear the SAT with a score of 1500+, or the ACT with a 34+ score.
Best Universities to Pursue Engineering
The field of architecture is often regarded as one of the toughest bachelor's degrees in the world due to its multifaceted demands. Architectural studies encompass a diverse range of subjects, including design principles, structural engineering, and artistic elements.
The complexity arises from the need for architectural students to engage in hands-on design projects, and extensive research, and often grapple with intricate problem-solving scenarios.
Pursuing architecture abroad typically involves a bachelor's degree spanning five years.
NATA is a national-level entrance exam for B.Arch admissions in top architecture colleges.
Best Universities to Pursue Architecture
Individuals with proficiency in memorization and a solid grasp of history may consider pursuing law, which is recognized as one of the most challenging courses. Moreover, those who have recently completed high school can embark on legal studies. A common degree in this field is the LLB, and after its completion, one can pursue a master's degree known as Latin Legum Magister.
- LLB is a 3-year course in the UK
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) - Is a three-year program offered by countries like the USA
- LLM is 1-2 years
LSAT is catered to students who want to study law abroad. This exam is designed to evaluate your skills and abilities in the areas of critical thinking, analytical reasoning, and logical argumentation.
Best Universities to Pursue Law
6. Quantum Mechanics
One of the world’s toughest degree courses, quantum mechanics is Ideal for physics enthusiasts passionate about unraveling mysteries like black holes and constellations, this course delves into Quantum Mechanics—the study of matter and light behavior at atomic and subatomic levels. It covers topics such as number manipulation, integral calculus, fundamental profitability, functional integration, and analysis.
- In the USA and Canada, a bachelor's degree in quantum physics typically spans 4 years.
- In Europe and the rest of the world, the duration for a bachelor's degree in quantum physics is generally 3 or 4 years.
- A strong background in Physics and Mathematics is essential for studying Quantum Mechanics abroad.
- Qualification for exams such as the GRE is often required.
- Proficiency in language through tests like IELTS or TOEFL
Best Universities to Pursue Quantum Mechanics
Journalism encompasses the collection, evaluation, creation, and global presentation of news and information. Recognized among the most demanding courses, journalists face the crucial task of ensuring unbiased and verified news broadcasts. The pressure intensifies not only from the public but also from the government sector, particularly during elections, to present news favorably.
- The duration for a bachelor's degree in journalism and Mass communication is 3 years.
- Some universities, however, provide the option of a 4-year program for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication.
- The Master in Journalism and Print Media is 2 years
- Best colleges for Masters in Journalism abroad accept standardized tests like GMAT scores: 700+ and GRE: 300+
Best Universities to Pursue Journalism
Beyond the facade of caring for patients lies a challenging journey, involving rigorous study, hands-on lab work, and real-world experiences—all concurrently. The degree demands a substantial amount of memorization, making it one of the most demanding pursuits globally. The constant barrage of tests only adds to the pressure. Yet, for those who persevere, nursing stands as one of the most rewarding professions globally.
- B. Sc (Basic): 4 years
- B.Sc (Post Basic):
- Regular: 2 years
- Distance: 3 years
- M. Sc.: 2 years
- If you want to pursue a BSc in Nursing abroad, you will need to pass exams such as OET, CRNE, NCLEX, and TOEFL.
Best Universities to Pursue Nursing
The scientific study of celestial bodies like planets, moons, stars, galaxies, and comets, revolves around core subjects such as Mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Theoretical astronomy relies on analytical models and computer development to describe cosmic phenomena, while observational astronomy involves analyzing data using fundamental physics principles.
Bachelor's in Astronomy from leading international institutions typically spans 3 to 4 years, aligning with the standard duration of undergraduate degrees.
- Theoretical astronomy: GRE General Test and GRE Physics Subject Test might be more relevant.
- SAT, ACT, or similar country-specific tests might be required, with a focus on math and science. Some universities might not require them due to a focus on holistic assessments.
Best Universities to Pursue Astronomy
Neuroscience delves into the scientific examination of the nervous system, with a particular focus on the brain and its influence on behavior and cognitive function. As an interdisciplinary field, neuroscience integrates mathematics, computer science, chemistry, physiology, biology, anatomy, psychology, and medicine. This scientific domain not only explores the normal operation of the nervous system but also investigates the effects on the nervous system in cases of neurological, psychiatric, and neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Bachelor's programs
- United States: 4 years
- United Kingdom: 3-4 years
- Germany: 5 years
- Australia: 4 years
- Canada: 4 years
- Masters program in Neuroscience is 1-2 years
- GRE Biology Subject Test: Demonstrates advanced knowledge and commitment to neuroscience-related sciences.
- MCAT: While primarily for medical school, some neuroscience programs, especially those with a clinical focus, might accept the MCAT.
Best Universities to Pursue Neuroscience
Navigating the Academic Peaks with GetGIS
Embarking on the exploration of the Top 10 Toughest Courses in the World has been an enlightening journey through the challenging realms of academia. From understanding the intricacies of Quantum Mechanics to unraveling the mysteries of Journalism, each course offers a unique perspective on intellectual resilience.
At GetGIS, we understand that while the academic journey may be tough, your study abroad adventure should be easy and hassle-free. With our assurance and support, we pave the way for a seamless experience, ensuring that your pursuit of knowledge is not only intellectually enriching but also personally rewarding. Get a Free Consultation Today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the hardest degree in the world?
Which country study is hard?
What is the hardest subject in MBBS?
Which country is no 1 in studies?
Which degree is considered the easiest?