Unlock Your Future with the Commonwealth Scholarship 2024
Table of Contents[Show]
If you are from a Commonwealth country and believe you could make a difference in the world but can't afford to fund your UK studies on your own, then you could be the ideal candidate for a Commonwealth Scholarship. Pondering over the possibility of making a global impact through your studies?
Well, dear students, the Commonwealth Scholarship 2024 is that very key waiting to unlock your future. Let's unravel the possibilities together and set your aspirations in motion.
What is the Commonwealth Scholarship?
The Commonwealth Scholarships program targets students from the Commonwealth countries, who may face financial barriers to pursuing education in the United Kingdom. This initiative, which provides financial support for postgraduate studies in various formats, is crucial in nurturing potential innovators and leaders.
This prestigious Commonwealth scholarship and fellowship grant is the United Kingdom's key scholarship program for advancing British international development objectives. Its purpose is to draw exceptional talent to UK universities while concurrently contributing to sustainable development efforts abroad.
Benefits of Commonwealth Scholarship
The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship offered by MHRD presents a plethora of benefits, Let's explore them in more detail below
1. Over the last 60 years, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) has generously provided Commonwealth scholarships to more than 30,000 individuals from the 56 Commonwealth countries.
2. Close to 800 students annually receive Commonwealth master’s scholarships in leading UK universities, catering specifically to international students.
3. The Commonwealth Scholarship is funded by the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), ensuring that talented individuals with limited resources can pursue their studies in the UK.
4. The Commonwealth Scholarship is intricately designed under 6 development themes:
- Science and Technology
- Health Systems
- Global Prosperity
- Peace, Security, Governance, Crisis Resilience
- Access and inclusion
5. The Commonwealth and Fellowship Plan offers a monthly stipend of £1,000 (₹1,05,280), along with a thesis grant. The Commonwealth scholarship for Indian students covers airfare, and additional allowances include £225 (₹23,688) per month for a spouse and £225 per month for the first child, with £110 (₹11,580) per month for the second child.
Types of Commonwealth Scholarship Awards
The Commonwealth Scholarships program encompasses various awards designed to facilitate educational opportunities for individuals from Commonwealth countries. Below are the different types of CS awards
1. Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships
The Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships cater to candidates from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, offering a unique opportunity to pursue 12 months of research at a UK university.
The award duration is 12 months and can be utilized either continuously for a full year or divided into two separate 6-month periods.
2. Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK administers a UK government scholarship program focused on international development goals. Operating under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), it showcases the UK's unwavering commitment to the Commonwealth.
Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships aim to provide affordable opportunities for talented individuals to acquire knowledge and skills necessary for sustainable development.
3. Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
The Commonwealth Scholarship aims to support skilled professionals and academics from Least Developed and middle-income countries, including fragile and conflict-affected states, who might not have the means to study in the UK.
The intended beneficiaries are high-quality postgraduate students with the potential to contribute to the development of their home countries through the knowledge and leadership skills gained. The award duration is typically 12 months.
4. Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
The Commonwealth Distance Learning program constitutes one of the three Master's programs extended by the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission. Aligned with the international development goals of the CSC, the Commonwealth Scholarship serves as a conduit for these objectives.
The Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships cater to eligible candidates from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries. These scholarships enable recipients to pursue part-time taught Master's programs with UK universities while residing in their respective home countries.
5. Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for high-income countries)
Supported by the UK Department for Education (DfE), the Commonwealth Fellowship for PhD Scholarships funds impactful research related to sustainable development. These scholarships for high-income countries aim to boost individual teaching and research capabilities, thereby strengthening institutional capacity in academic and other sectors within Commonwealth countries.
Additionally, they foster collaboration in UK higher education and research by attracting exceptional international candidates poised to make significant contributions as leaders, teachers, or researchers in their home countries.
6. Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide an opportunity for mid-career professionals from low and middle-income countries to engage in a period of professional development at a UK host organization within their sector.
These fellowships are intended for mid-career professionals with at least 5 years of relevant work experience, employed in organizations in low and middle-income Commonwealth countries.
Who Can Apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship?
To apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship, you require citizenship or PR in a Commonwealth country. Additionally, applicants must hold an undergraduate honors degree with a minimum classification of upper second class (2:1), and for those pursuing a Ph.D., a relevant master's degree is a prerequisite.
Finally, candidates must demonstrate financial need, as the scholarship is intended for those who would otherwise be unable to afford studies in the UK.
1. Commonwealth Scholarship Eligibility: Master’s Programs
- Citizenship Requirement: Applicants must hold permanent citizenship in Commonwealth Countries.
- Age Limit: Candidates should be under 40 years of age.
- Educational Background: A completed Bachelor's degree is mandatory, with a 60% score in Humanities and Social Sciences or a 65% score in Engineering, Technology, Science, and Agriculture.
- Language Proficiency: Tertiary education must be completed in English, and proof of English proficiency is essential.
- Exception Criteria: Applicants with overseas training, specialization, or study completion, funded either through scholarships or personal means, can apply, provided they have resided in India for at least two years post their return.
2. Commonwealth Scholarship Eligibility: PhD Programs
- Citizenship Prerequisite: Permanent citizenship in Commonwealth Countries is mandatory for PhD applicants.
- Age Restriction: Candidates should not exceed 40 years of age.
- Educational Qualifications: Completion of both Bachelor's and Master's degrees is required, with a 60% score in Humanities and Social Sciences or a 65% score in Engineering, Technology, Science, and Agriculture.
- Supervisor Acceptance: Applicants must secure an acceptance letter from a university supervisor, which is to be submitted during the interview process.
UK Commonwealth Scholarship University List
After ensuring that you fulfill the Commonwealth scholarship requirements mentioned above, you should apply to one of the universities listed below that offer Commonwealth Scholarships.
Charting New Horizons with GetGIS
As we draw the curtains on our exploration of Commonwealth Scholarships, it's evident that these opportunities serve as gateways to a transformative educational journey. The prospect of pursuing Master's or PhD studies in the United Kingdom becomes not only feasible but also enriching, thanks to the comprehensive support these scholarships offer.
And for those eager to navigate the intricacies of studying abroad, consider the assistance of GetGIS. From personalized SOP guidance to scholarship application support, GetGIS is your compass in the realm of international education, ensuring a smooth and successful journey toward your academic dreams. Schedule a Free Consultation
- Study Abroad
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any restrictions to the choice of subjects to be eligible for the scholarship?
What financial support is available under the Commonwealth scholarship?
What documents do I need to apply for the Commonwealth scholarship?
What is the Commonwealth scholarship deadline for applications?
Is there an age limit for applicants for the Commonwealth scholarship?
What are the academic requirements to apply for a Commonwealth scholarship?